Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finally put my QSC 3002 through it's paces...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by john turner, Oct 8, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and holy 5h!7 it sounds amazing with my aguilar db680.

my old "gig" rig was a trace elliot ah600smx. good tone, tight, decent low freq, a bit compressed sounding, but very nice.

my recording rig for the past 4 or 5 years has been an aguilar db680 and a bgw power amp. the bgw was heavy and not really powerful enough, and so i just used the te for loud gigs (i record fairly medium in volume). when the trace elliot took a dive on me - user error, unfortunately :( - i needed to get this "Recording" rig ready for prime time. first, the bgw had to go.

i've been hot for a qsc for a few years, but i couldn't justify the expense until the te took one for the team. even then, my main motivation was weight - as long as it sounded decent and was acceptably loud, i wanted something light-weight, so qsc plx and powerlights were at the top of my list. after talking to bob lee (thanks!) and a few other folks, i decided that a plx 3002 would be more than sufficient for my needs, and at around 21 pounds, it would meet my weight requirements nicely.

after spending a while today really running it through its paces, before practice tonight, well, man, i am amazed. i hooked up my qsc 3002 to the ole aggie and it sounds excellent - a much more expanded, open response than the trace had - cleaner and more articulate and yet still with a nice raw grind to the mids. i can't believe it. it's like i just used some q-tips on my sound. ab'ing it with the bgw showed a more expanded low freq and more power and punch in the 2-2.5k range. the bgw had a bit more high freq response, and would probably make an excellent pa/vocal reinforcement option.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Word. I've been using a 3002 for about a year, and it sounds excellent and weighs next to nothing (comparatively). Doesn't even run hot when driven. Not to mention headroom for years and years . . . :)

3. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Question...

You are running this amp into one cab right? Are you using Bridge mono or just running one side? Bridged is 2000 watts in 8 ohms and 3000 watts 4 ohms! Not many speakers can handle that.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    That power rating amp-to-cab issue is exactly why he's happy with the tone IMO.

If JT is still using the cabs (Hartke and Yamaha) he's had, he's got more than enough power to blow them away. That, depending on how you look at it, is always a good thing.

I would bet he's nowhere near stressing the output on the rig. Therefore, he's got plenty of juice to keep those lows smooth and undistorted. Any grind he wants would be dialed up on his settings for the Aggie.

I run a QSC RMX2450 (I run is stereo...500w one one channel and 750w on the other - 8ohm vs 4 ohm). The cabs are rated at 200w and 400w...does that mean they can't "handle that load"? Nope, they sure can. I'll never need to push them beyond what they can handle. But at the levels I play (pretty loud) I still have a clean signal because I have watts to spare (no distortion or clipping).

John...tried running w/o a preamp yet?
    I did that with my Ken Smith recently and found the tone was so pure...it really made me appreciate the bass more.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, lol, that's what i have set up still.

wow, that's an interesting idea. i'll give it a shot and post back what i find out.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just played a gig this past weekend with my PLX 3002 in bridged mono mode powering two VL-210B's. Talk about headroom! I was very impressed with the clean, tight lows I was getting. Of course, I had just picked up an Auralex Gramma, which I think helped out a great bit as well. But for cabs like the VL-210 that can take gobs of power, it's hard to beat those PLX series amps.

Tom.

7. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    John, congrats. I've been using a 1602 with my DB680 for a couple of months now, and I love this rig. I don't even look at other gear anymore, which is a real statement for me. It really doesn't get much better than this. Congrats again.

8. I just retired my AH600SMX too, in favour of the Aguilar DB-680 / QSC PLX 3002.

I have to upsize my rig a wee bit, so I'm moving from the Fafner driving a pair of Acme Low B-IIs to a DB-680 / PLX 3002 with two pairs of Low B-IIs for larger venues. The PLX driving two ohms per side = lotsa headroom! It sounds exactly as John describes it.