1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally rack ears for G@K MB200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billy K, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I got this message from Brian Clark of G@K

"Rack ears for the MB200 will be available in 2012. They are currently in development, but we do not have a specific release date. "

2. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    still waiting.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to put that tiny head in a huge rack, when it basically fits in your pocket?

4. I'd be worried about the thing sliding off of my cab. That's never been an issue with a rack for me.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Fair enough.

I guess I don't see the merit in taking a such a tiny micro head and making into the size of a regular head. I could definitely see it being mounted in a rack with a second amp (depending on the size of said amp) and used as a main/backup type situation.

Prolly why they didn't make the rack ears from the get-go.

6. I had the same thought. Why take something so compact and make it big and bulky by putting it in a rack? I keep mine in a laptop bag along with my wireless system and a couple of cables. The reason I got is was to use as a backup and I wanted it to be small and take up as little space as possible. I would imagine the people at GK felt the same way and that is why they were in no hurry to develop rack ears for the MB200. I have used my MB200 with my Neo 112 angled slightly upward on several occasions. Never had an issue with the head sliding around on top of the cabinet.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'd rather slap a strip of velcro on the cab and another on the head (assuming it isn't rat fur). Or use a bungee cord. Or a pair of magnets. Rack cases are effing heavy. I can't fathom that the same guys that are buying MB heads are the ones with 8 space racks full of stuff and fridge-sized cabs...

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Does'nt necessarily have to be a " huge " rack. For example, say you loved the tone of the MB200, but it was'nt powerful enough for you. You get a 1500 watt power amp and use the MB200 as a preamp only. Both would fit in a 3 space, effects rack. Power amps are cheap,small, and light, just like alot of bass heads, these days.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I meant huge by comparison. A 3 space effects rack would be significantly larger than the MB200, thus huge.

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I run my mb200 with a 4 ohm Schroeder 15L. I would like to get another 4 ohm cab and a second mb200. I was wondering if you could mount 2 mb200's side by side in a single space rack.

Actually I would love to see the mb200 with 2 power amps. Something like the Ashdown superfly. 1 preamp and 2 power units.

11. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    What's to develop? It's rack ears.

12. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    just get a rack shelf, take off the rubber feet on the amps, apply a couple small strips of Dual Lock, ( incredible stuff ) stick amps to shelf, mount shelf in rack

there's absolute ZERO chance of the amps shifting with Dual Lock ( you can get it at Target ) i trust it more than rack ears, i've used it for years with all my micro heads, which are slightly bigger than the pedals on my board