1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally Redoing my Highway 1

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kevinpmajka, Jul 13, 2014.

1. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    I've had my brother's highway 1 precision for years and have loved playing it.

I'm finally "trading" a guitar for it now, and I'm fixing up the dented tuner from traveling in a gig bag for a weekend tour...

So now I'm upgrading the tuners and refinishing it away from the boring blonde color that I never picked out. I know that the bass won't have any great resale value with it being refinished but more importantly - I want the bass to be mine. I tried a bunch of vintage reissues and I couldn't get into the finishes on the back of the neck and the reverse tuners....

It's a good project just waiting for Chicago humidity to calm down....
    IMG_1329.

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Nice...Keep us updated.

3. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    It should be great once it's all together.

New tuners, new pots/pickup, and a new pick guard. I got lucky on some used parts and the tuners were just because I felt like they were slipping more so. Based on Chicago humidity - probably all complete in a month.

I didn't strip the poly on the body - I just didn't view that as worth it effort wise. I recently became enamored with fiesta red, so I thought why not for the bass.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If it's a Highway One, it has nitro, not poly.

5. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    It has a white bass coat that didn't come off easily. It's a 2004. I think it's poly. (I could be wrong)

6. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got a couple highway 1 J basses, one red and one black. I got the red one as a gift and liked it so much I got the black one to tinker with, and both of them have a thin (really thin) nitro finish on them. Being made of alder I'm sure they have some grain filler on them, but in good direct light you can see the grain under the finish on the red one so I doubt there is any base coat on it. I rarely play the red one but the black one had pretty much become my go to bass for playing out when it's a band situation and it is already showing some finish wear on the upper bout where I rest my right forearm. It's just a couple tiny spots right now but it looks like plain old wood where the black has come off. I don't see any other color in the edges of the chip outs so I'm guessing it's just the thin black finish without any base beyond the grain filler. Maybe the blond has a white base coat with a light yellow tint over that?

I wanted to get a blond J but they were discontinued and all the blonds (and reds) were gone so I had to settle for black when I went to get the second one.

7. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    More progress. Turns out it was a nitro finish 2006. Didn't strip it. Just went over because it was so thin. My friend is doing the work so I'm not that involved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lownote38 and elBandito like this.
  8. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Nice! I especially like the matching headstock.

9. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    That's a ReRanch Fiesta Red finish. Those are Hipshopt tuners on there along with a extender on the low E.
    I was worried that keeping the satin neck would look tacky, but it feels really nice. Older rosewood boards look better than the newer ones unless you pick it from Warmoth. I find the new ones all look chalky.

Already looking forward to a fiesta red tele to match...

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I like your choice of decal! The first transition logo is my favorite on the P-Bass. Does it still have a serial number? I forget where those were on the 2006 Highway 1 basses.

11. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Serial Number is on the back of the neck and it's dated April 2006 on the neck. I totally hadn't looked at it in years. I thought it was a 2004.

I liked the decal for going over the color. Thought it would pop. It worked out well.
    I got a new to me used 90's tort guard and a Antiquity II going in once it's cured.

I don't mind spending this money on paint and parts since I already love the bass.

Lownote38 likes this.
  12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. with the headstock adjust truss rod, and the early '06 date, original finish would be a very thin acrylic lacquer, not poly or nitro ... nitro was the finish used on the Hwy Ones, post mid '06, with the heel adjust truss rod and neck with the graphite support rods ... this bass would be one of the last Hwy 1's prior to the 'upgraded' Hwy One ...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think the deal with these is the body is a flat, no-buff nitro of some sort while the neck is the same poly as the american standard stuff.

14. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Yeah wasn't even worried about the neck's satin finish. Just didn't want a plain headstock anymore.

15. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406960496.753578.
    The body is all done.

Now I'm sad that I have to return the loaner surf green p bass to my friend.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1406960555.244822.

16. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Guess it's time for a new surf green build ;). Love the fiesta red, looks great. Waiting for a pic of the finished product...

17. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Here's a partial assembly. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1407200424.341674.

AGH likes this.
  18. kevinpmajka

Mar 25, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Completed! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1407606531.803219.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1407606549.333881. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1407606561.603344.

19. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    NICE!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    :whistle:

edit: I didn't know : whistle: was an actual thing.