1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally scored that Reverend Brad Houser 5-string I wanted!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 6, 2007.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I had heard for a while that Reverends were great basses. A Reverend R5L belonging to a well-known TBer popped up at the right time, so I pulled the trigger. I was blown away -- I found myself playing it almost as much as my Sadowsky. So my low-level desire for a Reverend BH5 was transformed into a full-blown raging case of GAS.

I've spent the last several months looking for one in the Lava Swirl finish. I was finally able to find one this past week, and it arrived yesterday. TBer "arbitrary" and I were at my house comparing his new Kern and his Alembic preamps when it showed up. I'm sure I acted like an 8-year-old on Christmas morning.
    IMG_0051.

Anyway, I'm very happy with it. It's currently strung with rounds, so I can't compare it directly with my R5L, which has flats, but they share some of the same qualities -- amazing neck feel and profile, big, fat low end, etc.. The BH5 has better hardware (hipshot tuners and bridge), and has exposed pole pieces which are actually hex screws, and hence can be raised or lowered very easily. The BH5 also has more tonal variety, as there is a series/parallel/single coil switch for each JJ pickup, instead of one for both SC pickups like the 5L has. The BH5 also has a slightly wider neck and string spacing than the 5L, which has somewhat narrow spacing. The BH5 has that wonderful passive old-school big-time thumpiness to it like the 5L, but also a little more in the mids and treble.

IMG_0050.

I had to sell my impeccable Peavey T-40 and a bunch of other stuff, as well as return some Christmas gifts in order to swing it, but I'm really glad I did. This is the first time I've ever owned more than one bass from the same company, which is saying something. I was motivated by the desire to get the Reverend of my dreams before they became too hard to find. This one is a keeper. It's everything I expected.

Not a bad pair, I'd say:

IMG_0058.

Anyway, thanks to all those who helped in my quest. I couldn't be happier.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

That is a damn cool lookin' Reverend dude.

Congrats. :bassist:

3. :hyper:
    Congrats!! That is a mighty fine-lookin' pair of my favorite basses on the planet.

4. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    holy hell that thing is gorgeous....

:D

5. BartmanPDX

Thanks, guys!

The Lava Swirl finish is pretty "out there," but I dig it. :cool:

6. Awesome! :D

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice pair! :smug:

8. Smokin! Bet that thing sounds huge! Congrats!

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings form the North,

Congrats and welcome to the club. I know that they're hard to put down once you've picked one up. In the future should you ever fall out of love with this one shoot me a PM. ;) Happy Playing &.....

Happy Times,
    Rezdog

10. So I searched out the Reverend website and see no mention of any Bass guitars.
    Are these no longer made?

Since I joined here I've really liked the look of all the Revs being posted.

11. Mmmmmmm, Reverend!

[​IMG]

12. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Reverend basses are no longer being made.
    -Alex

13. OK, then how many years were they made and when was the last year?
    4 & 5 strings? Fretless?
    Give me the scoop man... I got GAS!

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Funky!! I like Revs for some reason, I only wish that when they were building them that they had an active cirquit option. Anyone ever added a preamp to one of these?

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    That's a great looking bass! I could be totally wrong but for some reason I think that might be the actual bass that BP used when they reviewed that model.

I've had a BH5 for five years or so now and I still love mine. I've got flats on it and it kills!

Enjoy!

Joel

16. BartmanPDX

AFAIK, Reverend started making basses in the late '90s, and ceased making the Brad Houser models in 2005, and the last basses were made in early 2006. I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure it was within the last two years, and the BH models were discontinued first. Reverend was in the process of shutting down the US factory and moving all their production overseas in the last year or two, and chose not to continue making basses when they made the transition. They've been selling off (cheap!) their entire stock of bass parts as well, which leads me to believe that there are no plans to reintroduce basses any time soon, if ever.

Reverend made the Brad Houser models as 5-strings only, I'm pretty sure. There were at least two versions of the BH5 -- one with exposed pole pieces, and one without, and the pickup location was changed at one point, as well. The only other 5-string Reverends were the 5L models like my white/gold one pictured above.

For four strings, Reverends came in two basic flavors -- a JJ model that's like a 4-string version of the 5L but with the pickups spaced further apart, and a PJ model, both models having the pickups slanted. I've played a PJ 4-string (belonging to TBer 4mal), and it is phenomenal. There are some really cool looking 4 bangers out there, including a bugeye chrome one belonging to TBer craigb that just makes me weak in the knees:

[​IMG]

{Hope he doesn't mind if I post one of his pics}

I've never seen a fretless Reverend, although they may have been made, or someone may have pulled the frets on one.

More info is available on the Reverend discussion forum.

Bart

17. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nice score, Bart.

I miss my old Houser Fish! Your whitefish looks eerily familiar, too.

Jack

18. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Nice one Bart :cool: ! Congrats!

19. sweet finish congrats

20. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Hey! Why didn't you post in the club? I had to stumble across this. :D

Awesome find, so glad you finally got your dream fish.

They were introduced in 1998, last batch of 5L's from existing parts were sold in 2006. I too had to have a Lava Swirl. They never made a fretless, though I've had the idea of snagging another one and pulling the frets. Here's my pair.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36980&d=1151348540