1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Finally" settled on a rig.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A short time ago I asked advice on a small rig that had the usual goodies. (sound, power, transportability, etc) Since I have been using IEM's for so long I didn't know where to start. First I tried a pair of Aguilar GS112's with a SWR 750. Great cabinets, great head, horrible combination!! I decided that the Aggies weren't the sound I was after. I needed less of a room fill and more of a stage monitor. Also although the SWR was a fine sounding head, I felt I needed much more control of the mid (cutting) frequencies. So to work I went, reading every post and archive I could on the talkbass amp forum. SO this is what I came up with:
    Auralex Grama Pad for my foundation
    Bergantino EX 112
    Bergantino HT 112
    Gallien Krueger 1001 RB ll
    I did give much thought to a separate Pre- Power set up, but after much thought I couldn't justify the added expense for what I thought might be little gain. Remember I am using this rig mainly as a stage monitor and NOT to fill a room. Every gig will have major PA support. My first impression, although a very short trial, (1/2 hr) was very favorable. The mid that was lacking in my previous set up, was now VERY apparent. This set up would surely fall under the "hi-fi" catagory. What some would describe as sterile, I describe as "modern", especially using a Modulus Q5 with EMG's. True, I could probably get a more buttery sounding low end, or more shimmering highs with a pre-post set up, but for bang for the buck, this should work out just fine. I have a dress rehearsal scheduled for next Wed for the new projuct I'm involved with. I can't wait to open this rig up on a stage to see what it really sounds like. I'll update, once I run it through some paces.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sweet! I also use the Berg HT/EX combination. Great cabs for sure and I suspect you'll be happy. Rock on... :hyper:

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tonight I got a chance to put this new set up through a actual work out. Played a two hr run through with full staging and monitors. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with the results. It is exactly the combination of tone and definition I was looking for. As I stated before, this rig was not designed to fill a room but to cover the stage with well defined low end. I can't believe how tight the B string sounds through the Bergs! The Grama pad may have something to do with it. I really can't say for sure since I did not play without it. I plan to use the Grama everytime, so trying the rig without it is not even an issue. The GK provides all the headroom I will ever need with this project, so I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks to all who supplied info and opinions helping me in my search!