Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Finally" settled on a rig.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    A short time ago I asked advice on a small rig that had the usual goodies. (sound, power, transportability, etc) Since I have been using IEM's for so long I didn't know where to start. First I tried a pair of Aguilar GS112's with a SWR 750. Great cabinets, great head, horrible combination!! I decided that the Aggies weren't the sound I was after. I needed less of a room fill and more of a stage monitor. Also although the SWR was a fine sounding head, I felt I needed much more control of the mid (cutting) frequencies. So to work I went, reading every post and archive I could on the talkbass amp forum. SO this is what I came up with:
    Auralex Grama Pad for my foundation
    Bergantino EX 112
    Bergantino HT 112
    Gallien Krueger 1001 RB ll
    I did give much thought to a separate Pre- Power set up, but after much thought I couldn't justify the added expense for what I thought might be little gain. Remember I am using this rig mainly as a stage monitor and NOT to fill a room. Every gig will have major PA support. My first impression, although a very short trial, (1/2 hr) was very favorable. The mid that was lacking in my previous set up, was now VERY apparent. This set up would surely fall under the "hi-fi" catagory. What some would describe as sterile, I describe as "modern", especially using a Modulus Q5 with EMG's. True, I could probably get a more buttery sounding low end, or more shimmering highs with a pre-post set up, but for bang for the buck, this should work out just fine. I have a dress rehearsal scheduled for next Wed for the new projuct I'm involved with. I can't wait to open this rig up on a stage to see what it really sounds like. I'll update, once I run it through some paces.

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sweet! I also use the Berg HT/EX combination. Great cabs for sure and I suspect you'll be happy. Rock on... :hyper:

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tonight I got a chance to put this new set up through a actual work out. Played a two hr run through with full staging and monitors. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with the results. It is exactly the combination of tone and definition I was looking for. As I stated before, this rig was not designed to fill a room but to cover the stage with well defined low end. I can't believe how tight the B string sounds through the Bergs! The Grama pad may have something to do with it. I really can't say for sure since I did not play without it. I plan to use the Grama everytime, so trying the rig without it is not even an issue. The GK provides all the headroom I will ever need with this project, so I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks to all who supplied info and opinions helping me in my search!