Finally setup my P-bass to BEAD tuning! Easier than I thought!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Oct 7, 2016.

1. So I've had a Squier Affinity P-bass for a while and I didn't know what to really do with it. It sounded great with flats on it, but lacked the B-string that I needed. I had wanted to string it BEAD for a while but was too cheap/lazy to buy nut files. So today I took some 5-string rounds I had and used the string to file down the nut. It took about 10 seconds per nut and the new strings fit perfectly. Got Ernie Ball Power Slinkys, .135 B-string.

Did a full setup and it plays great! It was less work that I thought it would be. It's a little weird without the G-string, but somehow my brain knows exactly where to play up the neck to make up for it. No buzzing strings, intonation is excellent. String volume is even on all four strings.

I have no regrets! :D:thumbsup:

ed morgan, Dradder, Mike N and 2 others like this.
  2. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    ......and if you want to change back to E-G all you'll need to do is reset intonation and any necessary set up tweaks. The top nut will still work fine.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Great mod

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Great way to screw up the guitar player, when he looks over to see where you are and assumes your 4 string is tuned EADG.... :D

The J in my avatar is strung BEAD with flats..... probably the best thing I ever did to that Bass.

ed morgan and walldaja like this.
  5. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm assuming you meant 10 seconds per slot, and not 10 seconds for the entire nut. But yeah, that sounds interesting, and thanks for your report on that.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  6. Really thinking about doing this to my T40.

7. Haha, yes about 10 seconds per slot. You just have to make sure you file at an angle, but you guys know that already.

I also checked afterward to make sure the string fit flush and there was no gap underneath it.

mech and Dradder like this.
  8. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    how to do the bridge if the b doesn't fit?

9. It depends on your bridge and what strings you have...I had this problem with Chromes on my SBMM...I ended up cutting off the colored wrap near the ball end and crimping the end with pliers.

In some cases you might even need to drill, I'd take it to a luthier if there's no way it's gonna fit

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021