1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally started a band! And I need advice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ryan Atchison, Jan 7, 2017.

1. IMG_1510.JPG I started a band and we've already wrote 3 original songs together... and I'm going to attempt to be a vocalist as well as the bassist. We have a logo and everything!

2. Oh I forgot to ask does anybody have any advice for being in a Band and getting gigs, all that good stuff

3. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    This is exciting. I am at the point now I have responded to so many of these threads on this topic that I think I would like to write Kindle book on it. There is a lot to doing it well....Remember, without sales and marketing, nothing happens. So make sure you get out and perform fast, and regularly, preferably with pay...I hope you like sales and marketing...you can't get away from it...to have a successful band.

4. Thanks! I heard people say similar statements about marketing and sales, its great advice.

5. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Plan A: Be really, really good. Be outgoing. Write lots of brilliant original songs that people love, and perform with charm and irresistable on-stage charisma. Everyone in the band should be blessed with striking good looks, fashion sense, and many hundreds of close friends who habitually buy music, attend live shows, find your music emotionally stirring, and talk a lot about their love for your songs and shows.

You should also start with an enormous trust fund and parents who have many, many industry contacts. Even then, be resilient and prepared to soldier on in the face of indifference or worse.

Plan B: Alternatively, just obsess about your music and performance, surround yourself with musicians who are better than you (and who are at least as reliable as you). Write, play, and study music as much as you can with as much attention as you can. Don't just repeat and fall in love with what you can already do. Always explore how much, why, and under what conditions musical ideas work. And be resilient and prepared to soldier on in the face of indifference or worse.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well like the song said " it's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll".............

Ellery likes this.
  7. dbbltime

dbbltime

Oct 5, 2014
    NRH, Texas
    I have no advice, but I wish the best of luck to you Ryan, and to your band mates.

Ellery and gjohnson441496 like this.
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Good work! Now the hard part starts.

I think many of us would recommend getting some gig dates booked sooner rather than later so as to keep the band moving towards a goal. Nothing kills momentum faster than months of jamming in the basement with no goals/deadlines. Try starting with some open stage gigs where you might play a set or a half-set of material. That really shakes the cobwebs out.

If you are sharing costs on anything with other band members (PA, hint hint), get it in writing as to what the terms and conditions are.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations! I see you're young, 17 if your profile is correct. You're likely to have a lot of life changes going on as you and your bandmates (I assume they're the same age, more or less) hit adulthood. And looks like you're doing originals rather than covers. All good.

One thing would be dedication. Make sure you're all on the same page and motivated to make the band work. Write regularly. Let everyone bring in ideas. Don't linger in the basement forever trying to tweak a tune to perfection - the perfect is the enemy of the good. Get a song down and get out there to play it in front of people. There will be plenty of time to tweak it later. Move on to the next song and KEEP WRITING. It's WAY better to have three hours' worth of music that you can pick and choose your best hour's worth from, than to have four songs that are PERFECT and nothing else to show people.

Depending on how old the rest of the band is and what the local regulations are, it may be a little while before you're doing bar gig type stuff. But you have the advantage that you're connected to a huge potential audience via your school, and maybe college if you guys go and are able to stick together as a group at the same campus or campuses close enough to each other. Play battles of the bands, open mics, town festivals, all that stuff. Put the word out that you'll play people's parties. Talk up your band all over facebook and snapchat and twitter and whatever other social media all your school mates are on.

Marketing is key. Choose your style and your image - doesn't have to be a big artificial fake thing (unless that's your thing), but you should look and sound like you belong together. Record some demos and whenever you do play live, GET VIDEO. Show that you can put on a good show. That will help to show to venues and maybe eventually to a booking agent or a manager.

Speaking of which - congratulations on having a logo, but you'll probably want to modify it before long. The ideal logo is easy to read and instantly recognizable. What you have right now is very "busy" and hard on the eye. Simplify!

Mystic Michael likes this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Two words, Good Luck.
    You're about to start one of the hardest & frustrating things to do.
    And, remember, there is no money in the arts.
    Have fun.

bassbully and MegaSwing like this.
  11. Actually I'm 15 I lied when I was 11 to get a google/YouTube account

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  12. Yeah it's just a temporary logo

13. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Even tho, and I hope you are, you may be best buds with your band remember it is a business. If you are buds and hope to remain buds it is best to discuss goals, assign responsibilities, define financial terms, etc. Put it in writing.

You're fixing to get a crash course in human behavior. Keep expectations reasonable and be ready for ups and downs. Bands are like family, some close some not, that you have to be involved with. Success does not depend on you being close but it depends on having agreements and honoring those. People evolve, tastes and priorities, level of commitment, all change. Roll with it! Be someone who you would want to play in a band with.

Good luck, post those originals up!

14. what the pluck

what the pluck

Oct 13, 2010
    Australia
    Be original and don't mimic other bands if you want to stand out. Be really really good and practice your instrument a lot, don't get lazy with practice. If your serious about this become an awesome and clever songwriter and do not plagiarise ideas, develop your own style be original. Learn other instruments. Never ever put anything on youtube or social media if it is crap, be honest with yourself... be patient. Approach some bands you like and ask them for some support gigs. Busk acoustically (if its legal in your area). Be ruthless with your promotion.... its a numbers game! and get someone to spell check/ edit your press releases. Dont take it too seriously when you are promoting yourself, a bit of humour can help. Organise your own gigs as fund raisers etc... give venues a reason to have you there... they just want bums on seats. Just be creative with how you go about things, think outside the square and just go for it.... but.... you gotta be really really good. Dont let the buzz of being in a band over ride your practice.... shred that bass.. put in the time now to really learn to play and you will have more options in the future as a bassist....

15. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Don't be boring and stationary on stage. You can't expect people to get into the music if you don't even look like you're into it.

16. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    New band, wanting advice? I assume you want to play gigs. Learn cover songs. Originals are nice but to earn a foothold you need to prove yourselves first. You need to build a following who like you enough to listen to a original.

Bunk McNulty and Joedog like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The number one thing most venue owners care about is your draw - can you attract acrowd. At 15, that leaves out many places for you. Concentrate on working on the music. Are there places at/through your school where you can perform? Start building a following. Have fun.

18. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Best of luck with this!
    Good band name...the logo very much suggests a ska/two-tone musical direction to me.
    Perhaps in the US it might not.
    Perhaps that is in fact your intention in which case I really really hope you do well-the world needs more ska!

There's not many 'first' bands that survive even to doing a first gig, never mind last a career, but I do hope you have a lot of fun on your journey.

19. Oh to be 15 and in a band again. Sounds like you're one up on me though. You have talent to add to the mix.
    Best wishes for your budding music career.

20. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Have fun! It should be fun!

tbasstreble11 likes this.