Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally starting to learn...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Brendan, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I did it, I finally broke down, and started to learn how to read music. It's just too much to know that there is so much out there I don't have a clue about, so I've started taking Libster.com lessons, as well as a book I've had for a while. I'm getting a teacher in a few months, (money issues prevent me from getting one now). So, I'm on my road to music and theory. I have a feeling this is going to make my head hurt.... but it'll be worth it. I just have to keep telling myself that...

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Congrats, Brendan!

It will be worth it, trust me. You'll never regret it, and if you stick with it - it will pay off.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not too bad...I have some residualy memory of bass clef from Tuba, and a itsy bit of residual memory from Piano...so maybe it'll be a bit easier on me.

But, I tells yah, after playing for 3 years, I feel kindas like putz going back to the beginning, partially because I didn't do it right in the first place, partially because it's sorta below me, dexterity wise*. But, hey, gotta tear it down to build it up.

*Now it's quarter notes. 1..2..3..4 when I'm used to going nuts playing bass in a metal band...

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

BRENDAN THE CLOWNS,

That's great news. You go, girl....

CHRISTINE

P.S. - to those who decide to start reading Notation: Me & Pac's got yer back. :D

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Word.

7. That's the way to go, Brendan, I'm fully convinced of it.

Only wish I'd the time to do the same.

Well done.

John

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    After 2 days I could read fine,but after a few months, i still dont understand the timing!maybe thats because i never work on the timing...

So Fitzgerald,I wanna know,is it Christine or Christopher?:confused:

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Brendan,
    I suggest you take Mr. Joseph Labonte as your bass teacher when you can afford it. Trust me: he is the best.
    Although, after a year or so of taking lessons from him, he started making me play Bach. Now he's having me play a "medley" of Brahm's Hungarian Dance 1 and 5 (you'd recognize some of it, I'm sure).
    But taking his lessons has increased my playing ability 10 fold technique-wise and cerebrally. Nearly everything I know I learned from him. Really nice guy. The lessons are a little pricey. You'll also have to (eventually) play solo recital music. (my fav was playing "linus and lucy").
    If you take lessons, take them from a state-certified teacher. Mr. Labonte is the only one who is in the area.
    You'll learn a lot more than just reading music, trust me!

Bassicaly yours*,
    Brad Barker

P.S. It wasn't until my first year of jazz band until I *really* learned who to read well. I was so humiliated during the first couple play-throughs during the class...Anyway, I arrange for a lesson before the next class, and an hour of hard work and cram-session style learning, I became a moderately decent sight-reader (for the first year or so it just HAD to be straight quarter notes, but I'm a little better now).

P.P.S. I don't know why this is like a letter. Maybe it's just because I haven't written a real letter in a long time. Or maybe this is when people stop getting sleep and start getting a little goofy.

*any over-/undertones unintended. a simple pun and paradoy is all.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

One of the things I really love about the internet is that it really doesn't matter. Would it make any difference if I said which it was? I'm way too old for you anyway. :D

GENDURRL BENDURRL

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ah 3 years aint so bad, i finally started doing it after 15. Best thing I did too. Ya wont regret it
    Like Jazzbo said, If you keep at it, its not really as hard as ya may think it is.

A piece thats helped me out alot with site reading is the Bach Cello Suites. It was recomended to me by Jazzbo and Pacman. It has just about everything ya need to know in bass clef.