Finally taking the plunge.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer347, Feb 24, 2006.

1. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    I've wanted a new amp for a couple of years now, not necessarily needing one, but you know, (gas) ....

I didn’t want to spend a lot of money; after all I play in a $400 a gig cover band. Up to now I’ve gotten by with my Peavey 210 combo amp with a BDDI to warm up the sound. Every time we have to load equipment after a gig my back tells me to get something a little lighter. I tried just using the BDDI by it’s self at first and the sound out front was great but it was a little more than the monitors could handle to get it up to a high enough stage volume, so I had to drag the Peavey back out again.
    And for the smaller clubs we just used a vocal PA so I had to use my amp anyways.

I’ve been reading the amp forums, drooling over the “flavor of the month” bass amps and cabinets, going out and trying the likely candidates when I could. And then some one would write in telling about the down side of this cabinet or that head and I’d say to my self, “yeah, you know he has a point”, and I’d be back reading the forums to find next great combination.

I’ve been interested in the Carvin Brx amps since they came out, but they had their down side too, heavy cabinets.... the B1500 seemed to have more power than I’d ever need, the B500 maybe not enough power.

One thread I’ve followed is the Schroeder mega thread.......... warm, punchy, and really loud, what could be better? And then SMACK’s Carvin B1500 thread started. The more I hear about the Carvin, the better it sounds. So I decided try the BRX212 combo, it looks like the poor man version of Smash’s set up and with the added plus of rolling around like a piece of luggage.

I ordered it monday and finally found out today it shipped tuesday ....... :hyper:
    but it won’t be here till next week....... :eek: so much for instant gratification

After I give it a work out I’ll give it a little review just to help pass the gas along, and maybe a little drool too.
  2. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    After only 8 anxious days my new amp is here.... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I love it so far but it's really hard to tell about the sound in a living room. I'll get to give it a good work out this weekend and I'll share my thoughts after trying it at a gig.

Till then a pic for you all to drool over :)

Attached Files:

3. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    awesome bro Congrats!!!
  4. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Give us an up-date. Ive been really curious about this combo too. They look like a great amp, and are about the perfect gigging size for portability. How's she sound???
  5. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    I used my new Carvin BRX212 combo at a gig Saturday night, and my first impression is OH MY GOD, I love this amp.

Let me start out by saying it was a medium sized club, seating for 150 to 200, we have played many times over the years. We had full PA support so all I needed was stage level for monitoring. Previously I had used my Peavey 210 combo, 200 watts at 4 ohms, with a BDDI for use as a direct box and to warm the sound up a little.

I started out with the eq all set flat and the drive set at 5, I like a little overdriven tone, and I turned the volume up to 5. This was about where I always ran the Peavey and it was adequate for stage level, but if I dug in any at all the DDT kicked squashing my headroom. With the Carvin I could tell that even with a very light touch this was going to be way too loud. Everybody in the band turned around and stared, wondering how that little amp was putting out all that sound. I ended up running the volume control at between 3 and 4 for the entire night. The tone was a little brighter than I care for so I ended up cutting the treble and hi mid controls back to 4, and boosting the bass and lo mids to 6. The amp reacted so quickly I found myself playing runs that were always muddied up and lost in mix before. Normally I had to tilt the Peavey up a bit to hear myself, but with the Carvin's tall, skinny profile I didn't find this necessary. Our guitarist runs the sound from stage and at sound check he goes out and walks the room checking levels during a song. He came back and said my bass was projecting so much better he had to cut my house level back almost half of what I normally run.

The only problem I found was that on a few of our classic rock songs the sound was a bit too clean, I really like an old school ampeg grind for this type of music, but I didn't want to have to fool around and re-eq for different sounds. Then I discovered I could cut the volume back a little on my bass and dig in a little harder and there was the grind and growl I was looking for.

And this amp is so easy to move, pull up a handle and roll it around like a dolly. Very light for it's size and easy to load. It only took up half the back seat in my Dodge quad cab. You should be able to get it in the trunk or back seat of most any compact car.

All in all I'd say Carvin has real winner with this bass amp, and I would highly recommend it for most all situations, unless you are trying to compete with a pair of Marshall stacks. I just wish Carvin would come up with a matching 212 cabinet and then maybe going up against the Marshall stacks might not be out of the question.