1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally the Michael League Markbass Casa is here and in stock!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ISlapdabass, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ISlapdabass

ISlapdabass

Mar 7, 2017
    Hey y’all! Has anyone tried the Markbass Casa yet? It is finally in stock, at least on Thomann’s website, and we desperately need some reviews.
    Mike League’s tone is fabulous and this head has the potential of being very awesome!
    So if anyone has any experience with this amp please let us know your thoughts and comparisons. Thanx.
    Here’s the link to Thomann’s website
    Markbass Casa Head Michael League – Thomann UK

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Who is Michael League?

3. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    Snarky Puppy bassist.

Pbassmanca and BrentSimons like this.
  4. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Never heard of them! :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Strange how Thomann’s website has the Markbass Casa but not Musician's Friend considering Musician's Friend is part owner or owner of Markbass.

6. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    It is rare that I get an opportunity to educate such an august personage as yourself, Paul, but allow me...

I only heard of Michael League and of Snarky Puppy a few years ago -- I came across some random video snippet of Mr. League at some party or something... I thought the band name was stupid and whatever he was doing at the moment struck me, in the moment, as lame. I thought he was some skinny kid in some dopey band. I looked him and the band up later, though, and they were not at all what I was expecting. I am a fan of his playing and of the playing of Cory Henry (the keyboardist). The drummers they play with are no slouches, either.

EDIT: The above performance of Lingus, while not specifically bass-centric, moves me -- I'd love to play music like that, in a band like that. The keyboard solo is insane, too.

This is to say nothing of the amplifier, which I haven't played and about which I don't have an opinion one way or the other, except that it would be interesting to hear a class AB Markbass head with a traditional power supply, if that's what this is. (I am guessing based on dimensions and weight, but don't know if that's the case.)

Also, per the other thread on this amp, is the Casa basically a reissue of an old Music Man amp, or are there some differences?

petch, Mpike, yodedude2 and 4 others like this.
  7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Is it? Have you got a source for that?

8. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm mostly curious about the new Classic 108 CASA 8x10" cabinet that pairs with this head as it weighs only 90 pounds. My older Ampeg 8x10 weighs 154 pounds according to my bathroom scale so that would be a significant weight reduction. It looks like Markbass made the sealed Classic 108 cabinet a while back, but with a black grille, so unless the drivers were tweaked it looks like a "re-issue" of sorts.

This is the cab in question: MARKBASS | Products | CLASSIC 108 CASA

ISlapdabass likes this.
  9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    They told me, and those idiot's still don't know when they are receiving the Markbass Casa.

10. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    August personage? Me? You have to be kidding - it’s only June after all!! :D

It’s not the music I generally listen to but it was very good and the kid can certainly play!! LOL

Thanks for posting that Mark.

11. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Whether this is even partly true (and I wouldn't be surprised if Guitar Center owned some shares of De Virgiliis's company and vice versa), it's by no means prominently advertised on the 'nets. I wouldn't trust MF employers to know too much about corporate structures. I welcome any info on this.

12. ISlapdabass

ISlapdabass

Mar 7, 2017
    Hes band leader and bass player in the band Snarky Puppy among lots of side projects that he has going on. He’s also got a record label called GroundUp and he seems like a great dude in general (from all the YouTube videos and interviews that I’ve seen at least!)
    He’s a spectacular bassist who IMO has the some of best “feeling” when he plays, placing the yummy notes in the tastiest spots. Harmonious, melodic, and ridiculously groovy/funky/gospely!
    He’s also got one of the meanest, baddest p bass tone, unbelievably he uses flatwounds [which is awesome] even though he does what he does and plays what he plays. He’s definitely worth checking out IMO.
    ...This is why I’m so interested in this amp head.

BassikBrad, BassmanPaul and Mr_O'B like this.
  13. ISlapdabass

ISlapdabass

Mar 7, 2017
    There are many videos that can be shown or recommended to see Michael League in action, but This is a video that most people don’t see, of just Michael League backing up a vocalist singing a version of Hallelujah. You’ll know what I mean by tasty! (Obviously you must listen with headphones)

petch, cactus1, retslock and 3 others like this.
  14. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    August will be here sooner than you think! It always is. Thanks for listening!

BassmanPaul likes this.
  15. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Wow! Thanks for posting that -- I'd never heard it before.

A few months ago I ran into another musician I know, playing piano on the street (one of those public pianos set up in pedestrian malls and on certain corners). I was on my way from playing elsewhere and had just stopped to grab a quick snack on the way home, but I grabbed my bass and the little amp I had in the car and set up and played with him for awhile. This was one of the tunes we did. I'd never played it before, but was somehow able to catch the changes the first time by ear and had a fun little solo on it.

Two things I like about Michael League's playing: 1) He's unafraid. 2) His contrapuntal approach. I've found myself in the position -- not often, but a few times -- of accompanying a singer -- just me, on bass. It can be scary -- and challenging to fill up that space while staying on top of the harmony -- and I don't do it as well as Mr. League -- but I like that kind of playing.

Anyway, enough from me. Carry on.

16. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I emailed Markbass a few months ago and they told me it was suppose to be released last month, I got tired of waiting so I bought a Aguilar AG700.

17. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Smart move. League heavily relies on pedals, so one is not going to find his tone with just the Markbass head.

Amano likes this.
  18. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    Holy crap. That keys solo was Cory Henry? Unbelievable, thanks for sharing.

Larnell is so sick too. I did one wedding gig with him very early in his career (like when he was 19) and he hit the cymbals harder than anyone I've played with before or since.

19. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Or with just the AG700 (not saying it's not a great head). It will also be harder if you're not Michael League.

That said, aside from when he's engaged an octave pedal or something else similarly obvious, I haven't paid attention to Michael League's signal chain. There are some demos of him playing the Casa. It would be interesting to know if those were straight into the amp or if there was something else in between.

Yeah, there are a few keys players (obviously), but Cory is the one playing the solo and the one playing Continuum with ML.

As long as this is becoming the Michael League appreciation thread, this is a neat interview from 2014: From the Ground Up: An Interview with Michael League

Contains a cool video and he talks about his early studies and playing in the Gospel scene in Dallas, TX. I believe that Cory Henry came up playing Gospel, too. Another cool vid is linked to in the article.

ISlapdabass likes this.
  20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Lets get you educated then. Here’s some of what they do: