1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally the Michael League Markbass Casa is here and in stock!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ISlapdabass, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Different. A Solid State amp in a half empty enclosure.

markbass_casa_rear.__1980x1980_q85_subsampling-2.

2. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Now I remember seeing that photo before and thinking it was odd. Kinda like the head case for the Mesa Walkabout amp -- let's take a relatively compact, light-is amp, and make it lots bigger and heavier to look cool (I guess the WA headcase provides some protection -- still could be smaller). I wonder if that's a purely cosmetic decision. I suppose it would stand up better on its side, on the floor, but that seems like weak justification. Maybe not.

I could see myself stuffing cables, a power strip -- maybe some snacks -- in there. Otherwise, if it didn't interfere with cooling, there is room in the case for two amps.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Sucks to be you ;)

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  4. I got to try Casa head and Cab when I was doing a clinic. I am a Markbass endorser and Casa was introduced in the same happening so I played thru it! I usually use TTE-501 and 8x10. There were alot similiarities in the sound (I played it flat, didnt touch EQ) but the biggest difference were in the highs. It wasnt as hifi as my TTE-501. I dont know if it was the cabinet or the head. But yeah, I really liked it! Would fit really nicely in the traditional-sound category... Not for slappers and modern sound players :) Oh, and the bottom was BIG and tight!

ISlapdabass likes this.
  5. Corey Henry is a tower of talent. He’s done amazing stuff with the Metropole Orchestra and also for the BBC proms. Check out Billie Jean.

6. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Man, Cory looks so young there! :)

Been a while since I've seen that clip, but I absolutely remember when I first saw it. I just about lost my s**t on the part where Cory starts doubling (octave below) his break-neck line on the other keyboard. Virtually every musician I know was talking about that clip when it came out.

I love Michael's playing -- supports the band, as he should, but adds just the right amount of flavor for me. And I love that he made his unique vision (Snarky Puppy) a reality.

But, @ISlapdabass ... you are Bill Banwell, you freakin' monster! I wanna know what YOU think of the Markbass Casa once you hear it. Be awesome if you posted a clip of you playing through it. :thumbsup:

raphaeld likes this.
  7. ISlapdabass

ISlapdabass

Mar 7, 2017
    Ummm...I’m not Bill Banwell! I would also love to hear his thoughts though!

8. Check out the Snarky Puppy Family Dinner concerts. They play a variety of styles with several guest artists. It’s a great concept - I bought the first DVD and there’s a second one out as well. Terrific stuff and it’s not all techno jazz at all.

MarkA likes this.
  9. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Whoa, something weird happened on talkbass! I clicked your username and then clicked "Profile page" in the popup which showed Bill's pic and even a link to his instagram -- and I followed the link and watched a couple of his clips. Bizarre. :eyebrow:

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I'm sorry, I mistakenly quoted your entire post: to clarify, I was wondering about Musician's Friend owning MarkBass, specifically, not about the Casa release. I'm going off-topic so by all means disregard.

11. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I will check these out -- could be a good dvd to have.

12. ISlapdabass

ISlapdabass

Mar 7, 2017
    It’s great!

13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

You're absolutely missing out. He's an amazing bass player and Snarky Puppy is incredible!!

ISlapdabass likes this.
  14. JAM83

JAM83

Dec 22, 2017
    Helsinki, FI
    Just bought the CASA from our local dealer on last week. It was one of the first two arrived in Finland. It had also ”classic series” plastic thingy on it that wasn’t in the Markbass catalog (..now have taken that thing off). So maybe some other classic stuff coming soon?

I have now played it couple of times and It has very nice and warm ”vintage” tone... not definitely hifi!! It has 3 bass knobs.. so lots off ass there!! It suits fine for my funk/ soul/ stouner stuff. I Played it through Barefaced Supertwin 2x12, 4ohm cab.

Now I have to test that does it work with the modern stuff? But I have Mesa D-800 so what the hell!!!

Gotta say that I def. like the looks and the sound + that it’s so lightweight.

6FD29E92-6D89-4FAE-AED8-5FB7000FB045.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    kobass and ISlapdabass like this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    True! :crying:

16. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Cool music. I'll be checking them out.

17. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Chin up, Paul!

BassmanPaul and HaphAsSard like this.
  18. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Interesting. The way the EQ is set up, it looks as if there might be a "global" section (bass/treble) followed by a foot-switchable, more "surgical" section (ultra low/low/mid/high mid/high).

Maybe "global" and "surgical" aren't the right words here. I don't know how the various controls are voiced, though frequency centers for each EQ band were discussed in the other thread -- they were also compared to the frequency centers for an earlier Music Man head (which I think was made by or in partnership with Markbass), which brings up the question, again, of whether this head is significantly different from that one or not.

Regardless, I haven't played either and if it's a good amp, it's a good amp.

19. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    When I spoke with Musicians Friend they told me they where part of Markbass and that is why you only see Markbass products at Guitar Centers & Musicians Friend here in the U.S.

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sorry but I just didn’t get it! A bass going plink, plink behind a beautiful voice did absolutely nothing for me. :(