Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FINALLY - The Read Purity hits Basstasters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, May 14, 2004.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    www.basstasters.com/preamps/readpurity.htm

At long last with much anticipation, the Read Purity bass preamp sound clips are ready for download.

The Purity just shouts "TUBE". If there was a way tubes sounded in my head, this is it - as soon as you plug it in, you say, "yeah, that's what tubes are supposed to sound like". And this is coming from a dedicated DB680 fanatic.

It's extremely warm, round, and fat - but not slow(ish) and bloomy like the F1-X and the Kern. It's also not aggressive and bright like the DB680 or Demeter. I found it to be a little scooped, but it spoke clear and true across the spectrum, and has an amazing tight low end, especially amazing considering how round the sound is. The EQ is somewhat flexible, but you're not going to get away from the basic sound - and really, that's the point.

This is probably the smoothest sounding preamp i've ever played. In the living room, you'll say "wow, that sounds incredible". During band practice, the Read supported extremely well. Not a very cutting sound, or one that inspires 64th notes :bag: but one that inspires fat supporting lines. Would be great for jazz, pop, some rock, and blues. For harder rock and metal, you might want a little more cut, but with a little tweaking the Purity can hold its own. As you'll hear, recording the Purity was bliss - the smoothness really comes across in the recording, along with the tube character.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions - and a huge thanks to Jack (www.readcustom.com) for providing the preamp!

www.basstasters.com/preamps/readpurity.htm

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    just took a listen.....and my fave pre is still the F1-X :bassist:

3. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    The SVP-BSP's been taken off the site? Btw just wanna let u know, ur "menu bar" for preamps, the fodera doesn't have a line break. :p

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :cool:

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Seeing as how I had the audacity to buy a Purity before it made it to your site, I am relieved to hear that you give it a great review! :) I'll check out the samples when I get home tonite.

6. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Vanselus-
    Did you get to try it out with your DB728? I am curious how it sounds with it. I am selling my 680, but keeping the 728 just because it is so special (and I don't want to take the hit on it). I have thought about getting a Read Purity to use with my Stewart 2.1, but it would be nice to use with the 728.

7. I just listened, and I think you described the sound very well. I can definitely hear the slightly scooped sound. I still prefer both of the Aguilars, but the Read sounds great.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sheesh, is it just my ears, or am i still digging the iAMP800 DI'ed out more?

:help:

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    No. ;) :smug:

It's not just you...

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    First of all, the Purity and the 2.1 would KILL. I think the purity actually benefits from a tight solid state amp, it balances out the warmth and tubey character. With the DB728 it was quite mushy. You can tell the grunty and dark DB728 was designed to work perfectly with the bright aggressive and open tone of the 680. Likewise, you can tell Jack Read uses a Stewart 1.2 in his personal rig with the Purity.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah Joker, you probably are. Don't tell anyone, but I personally prefer the tightness and clarity of the iamp to anything i've played to date. You better keep that a secret though.

This is how you PM people, right? :bag:

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Did you get around to coaxing any tubey OD from the READ? I think that is what would really set it apart from some of the other "cleaner" tube pre's... Also, don't get me wrong, I think it has a very usable tone. I agree 100% that it would benefit more from a SS power section. :cool:

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Read is a great preamp, just not my sound. There wasn't quite enough variance in the eq for me, but it's a great sound.

I'm having a bit of a dilemna at the the moment. I have my DB680 + power amp rig, which I love. I also have the iamp, and I love that too. I'm having a real tough time making a decision - I can't justify both. Truth be told I do prefer the fat bottom end on the Aguilar, but the iamp is almost as good for that, plus there's the whole weight and size issues. I've done a few gigs with the iamp, and it's great to take one less bag to a gig - the iamp fits inside a large holdall with other stuff (cables,stands etc) so I don't have to take the old rolling rack case.

But it's a nice problem to have I guess :D

14. If you want to get rid of one of these amps, I can help you. And it will not cost you anything.:D

....I know, I'm kind:p

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I did play around with some tubey overdrive with the Read. It does break up quite smoothly and nicely, and there's a lot of un-annoying overdrive there that you just can't get with a lot of pedals - and a little more overdrive than i've found in any of the other tube preamps that don't count that among the main features.

Wilson. You're gonna miss the other no matter which way you go, so why choose? Think of them as two different hammers for two different purposes. (and if I had to pick out of the two, i'd definitely go iAMP).

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

funny, but in sorta different light, i've been thinking the same, too!

but, my idea of a middle ground has been to go back to my old Demeter HBP-1 that i sold you! lol! :p

if anything, at the time when i parted ways with it, i was digging more of that tubey coloration that my somewhat redundant DB680 handed to me.

but since my recent love affair with my iAMP and my super clean, Avalon U5, the ol' Dem seems like a good foil for my "clean & punchie, super high power, versatile-for-any-room-and-just-in-time-for-the-outdoor-summertime-gigs" 2,100 watt Stewart rig w/ its soon-to-be-added Acme B4.

well, unless the gents at EA start thinking about an "iAMP" preamp!!! :bassist: :eek:

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    mmm, maybe I should try out Jokers old 'fatdrive in the effects loop' trick.

Jae, did you try this one yet?

and Todd, you're right. I've been agonising over this for nearly three months now, and I'm no closer to making a decision! I think I'm leaning in the iamp direction, since the convenience factor with it is SO high.

18. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    For whatever Reason, I love the Clarus tracks the best out of all of pre's you have listed. I own and Iamp 350 but want to upgrade the power a little...so, I will be buying either an iamp 500 or the new little AI Focus SL head (clarus)....I'll keep you guys posted!

19. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yamarc the Clarus is pretty sweet, especially for the size. There's just something about it that I haven't been able to put my finger on that's just... lacking. Maybe it's just very very flat, and lacking some deep low and bright high. Not really sure I could be WAY off, but in any case, I only use my Clarus for musical theater and church gigs. Perfect!

Now.... what makes you like the Clarus the most?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that i can do this:

[​IMG]

:cool:

also, considering, i could live on just the punchie lovin' of my Sadowskys' 40Hz bass boost, the uncolored'ness of the Clarus lets it shine thru with nary a sonic impediment.

tho, the 300 watt Clarus is ok for the small trio's, the higher powered, more suitable 600 watt Focus should rock some serious booty. :bassist: