Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FINALLY, time to upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by opivy3056, Dec 13, 2004.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey whats up?
    Ive been needing to upgrade the pickups on my bass for well......the whole time ive had it :D . But now i finally have the money to. Im looking for some replacements for the stock pickups on my 2002 MIM j-bass. Ive been considering a lot of different brands and types, but i dont really know what to look for. Here's what I want out of the pickups:

- LESS NOISE please
    - Defined low end
    - Smooth high end (not all harsh and stuff)
    - nice mids that arent all clanky.
    - More output than the ones I have on now

I really just need a warm, round tone with enough bite to cut through the mix. I like the basic tone of the pickups on it now, theyre just a little thin sounding and quiet. I want something with some power behind it. All help is appreciated. I want to order them soon!

thanks

2. DiMarzio Model J, or Ultra Jazz.

Definite improvement in the noise department. Will fit a 2002 or later MIM bass without hacking the bridge cavity.

These are hum cancelling types, and work as a pair of side-by-side single coils. You get the single coil tone, without the single coil hum. The E-A strings are one coil, and the D-G strings are the other coil. Ditto for the other pickup.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I put Dimarzio Model J's into my brother's MIM J and they smoked, much more output, much fatter sound and a lot more lows and low mids. I think you'd really like these pups, so long as your J is a 4 string. If it's a 5 there's fewer options but you can still get Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, Bartolini 57J/1, Nordstrand and Lindy Fralin pups for it. Good luck bro.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Since you are pulling the pickups anyway, here is your chance to shield your cavities. Shielding is one of the best things that you can do to reduce noise.

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I agree with the Model J suggestion. I played a friend's jazz with those in it and it pumped out some great great tones. I also reccommend SD Basslines 1/4 Pounders. I have these in my fretless and they sing. Smooth top end, prnounced mids, and very grownly lows.

So many great Jazz pups on the market, you can't go wrong. Also, SMASH did a great J pup review thread. Search it out, there's lots of info in there.

6. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Try the Barts.....very smooth and probably more refined than the SD 1/4 pounders. I have bot on my Jazzes and the SD's are VERY growly with a real bite to them.

The Bart's a very articulate with a fuller bottom and but slightly shy in the mids and top. Lots of clarity but with a lower output it needs the signal to be boosted by EQ or preamp.

Good luck with the decision!!

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  8. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Do the dimarzio Model-J's have pole magnet things? Those kind of annoying me when i slap (sometimes i slap too hard).

My guitarist's brother has a custom jazz with bart's in it, but for some reason the strings dont have even volumes, that bugged the hell out of me! Is this a common default in bartolini pickups?

and jw, will the higher output increase the sustain on my distortion pedal any? It seems when i play the distortion fades away (its not really heavy though) really quick because the notes die so fast!

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    They DO have exposed poles however they're not like Fender's, the poles on the Model J's don't stick out above the surface of the pickup.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a set of Ultra Jazz in my fretless, and they're wonderful. I love em! Not expensive (around $105 a set) and they're bootylicious!