Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally took the Stingray plunge...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, May 10, 2004.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    After YEARS of wanting one, I finally broke down and snagged one off of ebay. everyone has THE bass for which they have longed. Many tend toward the Foderas, MTDs, etc. of the world (and for good reason, obviously), but the Stingray has always been "the one" for me.

It's a nice transparent cherry finish (shows the wood grain) with rosewood fingerboard.

Paid $650.00.

pics attached.

2. thats one sweet looking stingray, and looks the like the price was right. congrats

3. What he said.

Enjoy!!
    :cool:

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What about the ATK?

5. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Excellent bass, excellent price! Dang, I'd buy another one for that kind of money, and I don't even really need another one.

6. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Oh, worry not, my friend - she's still in the rotation! ;)

7. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats! A beautimous bass. Great price, too. Love the MM transparent finishes.

I suspect you'll love the sound even more than the look.... :bassist:

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    lol, i was considering bidding on that, but I didn't. Don't have an ebay account yet, and dunno if I'd trust buying a bass off of there, I know a few who got screwed. But hey! Congrats man! It'S a beaut! Lemme know if it plays/sounds as good as it looks!

9. Even though I'm a P & J kinda guy, that is one BEAUTIFUL Sting Ray...makes me wanna try one again...:p

10. Nice Ray. I'd get the exact same one, except with a maple neck.

11. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    that is a sweet ray!!!! i have one myself and love it. i think you'll like the rosewood neck.....mine is maple but i wish it was rosewood.

do yourself a favor and PUT A PEARL WHITE GUARD ON IT!!! i have a transparent red finished fender and the pearl white really looks sexy on it. :bassist:

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm not a StingRay guy, but that is a beautiful bass at a steal of a price. Enjoy it! :D

...oh, and I certainly second the Pearl White 'guard idea.

13. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm a Stingray guy to the bone! and that's my "ultimate" ray scheme...

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

+1

That's a nice looking instrument, congrats! I just joined the StingRay community too, mine's a 5 with natural finish. Kind of a pain to set up (it has a pretty narrow range that it likes), but boy once it's in it sure sounds great.

One of the best things about the StingRay, IMO, is the consistency in the playing volume between slap and fingerstyle. With my new StingRay 5, I can move seamlessly between the two styles. Very nice instrument. I'm a happy camper. :)

15. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Thanks for the kind words, all!

And I'm actually seriously considering a pickguard change (such as a pearl white one) - that's a good call.

16. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    trust me...it will be money

17. I move to VETO this decision, it looks absolutely hot just the way it is...if it had a maple fretboard, then a pearl white pickguard would be a better choice, but the black guard goes better with the rosewood f/b...

18. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Stingray's are great... I haven't played anything that I like better. Enjoy.

19. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Very nice! I have the same color, but with the older bridge and maple birdseye neck. It IS my main mamma..

Looks like you scored it at a very nice price as well.

I've played all sorts of basses, but I always go back to the Stingray. Its just a perfect fit for me as well.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Maybe black pearloid? Mmmmmm......