1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finally tried an Ampeg PF500 Last Night...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, May 15, 2011.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I was out to dinner with the wife in Warwick, RI last night..she wanted to hit Famous Footwear afterwords which, well wouldn't you know it is next to a GC ;)
    So ther they had the PF500 into the 210. I have been wanting to try one for a while, as I dig the Ampeg sound. After the supposed 'Bass Guy' got me a cord and figured out how to hook it up <<<crickets>>>... I was rockin' out with it.
    The knobs seemed cheap and very lose, not sure if it was the constant floor model being played, but setting that aside, it sounded great. It really got loud with the volume at 2 O'clock. I paired it with Basses that I play now..Fender P and J....WOW, I was impressed. I was even more impressed when I plugged a Music Man Classic Ray...damn that is a nice Bass. :eyebrow:
    I may be pulling the trigger on the PF500 this week to go with my Avatar 112 (8ohm) for practice-smaller gigs, and my Avatar 410 (4ohm) to go with bigger gigs. I was leaning with a GK MBFusion, but this may do it.....may just have to part with my MarkBass LMIII after all.

For those who use the PF500 as their new stage choice, Is it definately loud enough and relaible (200 to 400 capacity) for this kind of use? Before I pull the trigger. And yes I will also be going direct.

2. I would think it's powerful enough, I use a 610 cabinet at gigs & a strange old Ovation 312 at rehearsals & haven't had the master past 1 oclock. It records great as well.

3. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Are the knobs really loose on yours?

Like the wind could turn them..

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    1 o'clock? :eek:

If I have to go past 40% on the master knob of any amp it's time to get something else...

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    You might miss out, all knob tapers aren't equal.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    allex only uses 2000w amps or better.

:D

for the rest of us, 500w is plenty for pretty much anything except doom. and allex's gig.

7. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    65watts of souped up bf bassman does it for me and has been gittin' it for almost 25years now. 100watts is a luxury for my needs (all manner of loud roots bands). someday i'll get either a ampeg V4BH or the greatest fender tube bass head ever, a Blonde Showman. bf showmen are cool too but a blondie eats it's lunch. then i'll be set for life....

8. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Jimmy, you always have great advise..I guess I should of rephrased..Is it a true 500wts??? Some of these micro-heads lack true wattage specs.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    sure sounds like it'll do 500w legit to me.

10. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Being from RI and knowing what that GC is like I appreciate this comment alot. None of the people who have come over to me when I am in the "Rumble Room" have known anything about bass. It's generally really funny when they come over and tell me what bass would be great for what sound, and when I tell them I play a Fender Jazz 24 Active they try and get me to buy and try out other really expensive Fenders. My bass cost $500 and with a setup and new bridge it works perfect for what I use it for. Anyway......

I have been meaning to try out a Portaflex, I just wish our GC had more variety than Fender, Ampeg, Markbass, and Acoustic.
    A week ago I was in FL, tried out a Phil Jones Briefcase, Dingwall Bass, Couple Modulus basses. We need more variety up here.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    The knobs on both the PF350 & 500 I tried were just as solid and tight as any of my other Ampegs. No complaints on the build quality from what I could see. As for getting 500 watts out of the head, it will do it but you'll need to be running a 4 ohm load.

12. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    So it is probably like my MarkBass LMIII, volume wise. In 8ohms I really have to have the Volume past noon during practice to really get the lower rated wattage to come through, where as in 4ohms, the volume is around 10 o'clock and plenty loud.

13. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The warwick store used to have a pretty good selection, but that was back when most stores had decent selections. Now it's just crap at every one.

14. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I miss the days when stores actually had a selection of gear to choose from but those days are gone forever. The internet changed things. People go to GC to test drive and then buy somewhere else.

15. If you check the big PF500 threa I wrote a little review on how it records and sounds with a P.A. It's on one of the last pages.

To save you a little searching.... It records really really really well. Sounds awesome.

16. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I love that guitar center! even though im Maryland I buy a lot of used items from there because they get a lot of good stuff and cheap!

As for the 200-400 crowd with that set up. I was not happy with the ampeg paired with the 2x10. But thats my opinion. I had that thing blasted at 3 o'clock and it was nowhere near as close to my little mini markbass 12" combo at 11 o'clock

17. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I like the tone of a SS amp when it's not pushed too hard.
    I use a 700W head and never go past 4 on the master knob.
    I'm happy with my tone and volume onstage.
    Generally speaking, I dislike the tone of SS amps when the master knob is above 50%, but that's me.

Some folks dig 15W amps and it's plenty for what they do. More power to them...

I need some headroom because I'm a slapper and I dig a punchy sound. Not really into a "James Jamerson" tone, although I do love his playing...

18. stevemac

stevemac

Feb 24, 2011
    Probably a dumb question, but why does size matter?? :p (ok loaded question but anyway...)

I have a 350W and its more than fine for 200, because it goes through the PA, so I dont care if its not loud enough on its own. I mean look at Geddy Lee...

19. I haven't had the volume past 1 oclock, doesn't mean I usually have it up that high. I have been happy with the volume closer to 11 oclock generally. I don't see myself running out of headroom with this amp for my uses & it's stayed cool after hours of use at jam sessions.

20. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    It matters to me because I play gigs with loud drummers and 5 or 6 percussionists plus guitar, horns and keys, where the stage volume gets so loud that I can't hear myself without a robust rig and some monitors won't handle kick and bass well...

If I knew for sure that I would find a pair of 12AM wedges everywhere I play I wouldn't even bother to bring an amp.