Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally tried my GS 112's live

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I was scheduled to do a fill in gig tonight, so I stopped my shopping, and picked up a used SWR 750 at G-Center. With the 30 day policy, I figured I would give this amp a try. First off I must say that in certain applications, this would be a wonderful rig. (little or no PA support) I now know what people are talking about describing the GS112's low end. Very sweet! However with that being said, I'm not sure if it is the right rig for me. I stacked the cabinets so they were at their tallest. The smiley eq sound was very evident. Tried to dial in more mid. but not only is the mid eq very limited on the SWR 750, but I'm not sure the Aggies have that cutting mid sound in them. Standing next to the rig, the definition was marginal at best, but the players on the other side of the stage were geeked about how well they heard the bass. Now I'm not so sure this combination will work for me. In most situations that I will be using it, there will be strong PA support so I don't need that room filling bottom. Maybe before giving up on the Aggies, I will try another amp with more mid control.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Jerry, I've run my two aggies with a swr 350 and the 350 with a tech21 RBI preamp on the front end running into the power section of the 350. the 350 by itself is rather boomy, using its preamp section, and the mid control is passive eq so I don't think it gives enough flexibility as far as the aggies go. the sound with the tech21 is a little more compressed and controlled on the bottom end. I actually prefere the rbi/swr sound better than the swr alone. I'm looking into the new tech 21 RPM, not RBI, it has a dedicated ACTIVE sweepable mid control. this is similar to the tech 21 Landmark 300/600 head's second channel. When I used the 300 with my aggies I had enough mid control to satisfy me in a live situation, but the power was a little lacking in the amp.

soon I will have a stewart 1.2 with the RPM and that should be quite sweet!

3. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    I found the mid of the aggies to be everything but scooped. They have lots of bottom end, but even more low mids, and although there's a small valley just before the tweeter kicks in, I would consider them pretty mid-heavy.

4. Jerry,
    I am totally hip to what you are saying.
    Very recently I made the switch to (2) GS112 cabs from (1) Eden 410XLT. Biiiiig difference. Although I loved, and still do love, the sound of the 410XLT, it always bothered me that no matter how well I dialed in the sound (relative to me standing next to the box), it would always seem to drop off once I walked the length of my instrument cable away to listen to it.
    Vice versa with the GS112s. I have used them for (2) gigs so far and crowd response has been great, although, where I am standing, I don't hear the same definition that I became used to with the Eden cabs. I have been an Eden customer for 8 years now, and I accept the fact that my 'ears' are going to need to be remolded to the new setup.
    My situation (blues/jazz) is such that, we travel light. Small PA, you know? My rig alone is responsible for getting the bass heard, so this may end up be the rig for me...once my 'ears' adjust!
    In any event, thanks for the validation.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I got rid of my GS112 for exactly the same reason. I loved the pillowy low end but the attack of the note got lost in a dense mix. I switched to and EA Cxl112 and this give me the attack I need.

6. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    My situation (blues/jazz) is such that, we travel light. Small PA, you know? My rig alone is responsible for getting the bass heard, so this may end up be the rig for me...once my 'ears' adjust!
    In any event, thanks for the validation.[/QUOTE]

Boy, you're not kidding. I have ben using in ear monitors almost exclusively for the past 5 yrs. Talk about an adjustment! But I can honestly say, if you need to fill the room without much support, these may be one of the best speakers ever made. I still have some tweaking to do though. Whether I have to change the amp or maybe one or both of the cabinets remains to be seen. This weekend, back to the regular gig with IEM's.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This sounds similar to my gig experience with GS-112 cabs. They fall in the Eden camp soundwise and I got tired of missing what I was missing. I no longer have them.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I've had the same issues with mine....hard to hear the individual notes. I've gotten rid of one and trying to decide if I should sell the other one too. They are nice and easy to carry.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    If you guys are hankering for more mids, you might try the new Eden D-112xlt. I've not had mine very long, but so far I like it. It seems like an anti-112gs...not scooped at all and, if anything, a bit mid-humped. I don't think I like the highs as much as the 112gs, but the cab is pretty tight and punchy otherwise.

Will

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Good suggestion but... I'm already set;)

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Try using that 750 eq. flat and eq. from your bass. I had horrible sounds with a 750, a Ken Smith and a Goliath III trying to dial what I "thought" I should hear. Crank that preamp to like 12, limit the use of the limiter and the aural enhancer say both about 9:00 or 10:00 and do the Master as you need it. The strengths of the GS's may emerge for you this way.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This thread is invaluable to me. I was all set to ditch my Metro, and run out to buy a couple GS112's.

-Mike

13. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I am very happy to see a thread talking about gear with no bashing and no crying. this is the talkbass i know and love.

14. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Comparing a SWR Goliath III 410 to a GS 112 in terms of tone

With an Ampeg SVP-Pro and a P-bass, I'm hearing thicker lows and low midrange. The P-bass revealed a thin low midrange in the SWR cab.

With a Modulus Flea, the upper mids and treble are much smoother with the GS 112. To me, the upper midrange sound inherent in the Flea is still very much there, but it is smoother with less bite. And it seems like I can boost the lows and low mids and get a thickness to the tone without drowning out the upper mids that give the tone its character.

The GS 112 is definitely more "pillowy" in the lows and low mids and rounder/smoother in the upper mids and treble. More of a "vintage" tone I guess, and that's what I feel like I was missing with the SWR. Personally I'm becoming less impressed with hi-fi tone, so the GS 112 is working for me, but I think people do need to beware that the GS 112 has a definite "voice." It isn't colored so much that you lose the unique sound of the instrument. My P-bass and Flea bass are still easily discernable, but it does lean to the vintage side of the equation.

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have an aggie 112 which i pair with a bag end 112
    the bag end has very cutting mids, the aggie fills in the lows and highs
    i think the aggie is a neat sounding cabinet but i dont think i'd gig with it alone, i got mine as part of a trade at a PA guitar show
    personally i'm still lusting over a pair of epi or bergie 12's...sigh :crying:

16. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The best thing I can say is that it definitely pays to experiment. I picked up my Aggies used, at the going rate. In the worst case, I should be able to sell them easily, minus what I paid for shipping. In the modern day of the web, gear at a fair price, usually doesnt last long. Back to the issue at hand, in no way was I trying to steer anyone away from the GS112's. Depending on their intended use, they may be the best box you have ever tried. On the other hand their particular voice may not be for you. As I stated earlier, the guys I played with last night were very impressed with the way they filled the stage. The guitarist even said how warm they sounded to him. When was the last time a guitar player mentioned any tone other than his...... LMAO

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Aggie GS112 user here. I agree that the cabs have a naturally scooped sound. But mids can be dialed in. I find that they work well with my SWR SM400S, which has a 4 band parametric EQ that lets me tweak mids to my heart's desire. I have also found that the mids on the GS112s open up more with more power/volume. It may not be ideal for all situations (low volume gigs, small venues, etc.) to operate this way, but it is what I have found.

I find that pairing up a GS112 with a EA CXL110, really gives a nice full range tone.

18. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I can see how that would work WAY better than the SWR 750. I could see very early on that the limited eq on the 750 wasn't going to do it for me. With G-Centers return policy, it was worth a shot. Actually I would love to give a GK 1001RB a shot with these boxes.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Both of these posts highlight why I decided not to keep my Aggies. It's the same reason I didn't keep my Yamaha TRB6. Great bass, once I tweaked my amp to fill in what was missing.

The problem with that, for me, is that I don't want to have to "fix" anything in my signal chain. Not when I know that I can get stuff that just sounds right from the start... it's saved me an immeasurable amount of time over the years. Practically every one of my gigs has been plug and play since I've adapted this mindset.

Yes, you could find the sweetspot on the eq that makes the cabs come alive for a particular bass. The problem with that is that'll rarely work very well with more than one bass. I rotate over a dozen basses and with my present rig I plug them in and they sound like they sound. The rig stays flat.

One of the happiest realizations I've ever come to performance-wise. I show up, set up and play. Might tweak the amp volume but that's pretty much it.

The Aggies are nice cabs, just like SWRs are and any number of cabs are. It's all about what you like.

20. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Plus, I've found SWR heads and preamps to be thin on the low mids and heavy on the bass, so that certainly isn't going to flatten the response of the GS 112 . . .

I was just playing around with my Flea through the SVP-Pro into the GS 112. Everything flat, on the pre and on the bass, moderate volume, and the growl was tremendous. I think the Ampeg is a good match for the GS 112, since it kicks up the low mids and seems to roll off the low bass, evening out the response of the GS 112.

Like I said, the GS 112 does have a distinct voice or color, but not so much that all your basses will sound the same. My Flea sounds like a Flea, P sounds like a P, but it is not a flat hi-fi sound.