Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally tried out my Peavey Mark III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Dec 27, 2003.

1. AND WOW! Love the classic rock sound I can get with it, perfect for the sound my band has! I don't have my cab yet, but I was at Stephen Soto's house last night and tried it out. I love it especially because of the 2 channels it has on it. The first I use for my Essex and I use the graphic EQ along with it and it is the most bitchin sound I have EVER heard! The second channel I use for my Ibanez GSR200 Fretless. I just use the basic EQ on the second channel and don't use the graphic EQ on it and it is perfect (atleast for me it is). The Peavey is about 26 years old and sounds completely and utterly awesome! I LOVE PEAVEY NOW!!! Screw the fancy Ampeg and SWR stuff, this head blows them away IMO! Lovin it and can't wait till Jan. 5th when my cab gets here! WOOOHOO!!

Best Regards,
    The One And Only THole

2. Where'd you get the Hartke?

3. i don't have it yet, getting it on Jan 5th, but thought I'd update my profile while the thought was still in my head ;) I actually used Stephen's Ampeg cab to test it out last night.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Mark IIIs indeed are perhaps the best affordable heads ever made. I'm using a Musician series and its not even made specifically for bass, but it still kicks my anus. I'm still trying to get some money for my Mark III but only have mild interests.

Good luck with that Hartke. Personally, I don't like them and I've heard some not so nice reviews on the VX series. I hope they're wrong.

~Patrick

5. Supposedly this one sounds pretty good, so I'm praying that it is! As for the Mark III, you can find one on eBay for around $150, which is what I got mine for. Good luck on getting one, this head RULES!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What's the difference between the Peavey Mark III and the Mark IV?

7. I'm thinking it's how many watts it can handle. I was actually looking for a Peavey Mark II when I went head searching because that is actually what I had played to turn me onto the Peavey Mark series. I was looking at watt ratings and the Mark III suited me better than the II so I got it. Also, the Mark II and I think maybe the IV have built in compressors.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ewwwww... Old Peavey... Gross. Sure, it's built like a tank, but why be so strong when it sounds like poo? Hey, if it works for you, cool. IMO, of course.

Peace,
    Scott D.

9. Its got that awesome classic tone to it, doesn't sound bad at all. But we all have our opinion on how things sound!

10. It truly is great man. And I can't wait to hear you playing through it on that CD!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wonder how the sound stacks up against a GK 800rb (something im looking at for the future)

12. Once I get my cab I'll do a few recordings, see how u like it.