Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally tried the Jamersons

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bought the Jamerson Set. .052-.110 Labella stainless flatwounds. I've been wanting to try these for a while, but I couldn't find them locally, so I ordered them from Elderly. I put 'em on yesterday, and they sure are BIG ! I had to throw a little tweakage on my truss rod, even though I had .050-.105 Ernie Ball flats on prior to the Jamersons.

So how are they? First, they're ssssmmoooooth. Very slick and nicely polished. Not quite as smooth and polished as the Fender 9050's, but close. Smoother than Ernie Ball or GHS flats. They have a reasonably bright sound (for flats), with tons of bottom. Plenty thumpy, with good sustain. It'll be interesting to see how they sound in a few weeks. They appear to be round-core, with the core having a spiral cut in it, maybe to hold the wraps better. They don't feel quite as stiff as I expected, though obviously tension is high.

Oh, yeah, I've got them on my Precision.

2. awesome! i've been looking for one of these sets for ages...now i know where i can get them!

have you tried them out w/a band yet?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, it's been a couple of days, and I'm starting to think these are really cool strings. They've got a lot of the character I like about Elixirs and Blue Steels, but they still sound like flats. Like I said, brighter than I expected, but you wouldn't mistake them for rounds. I have Elixirs on my Washburn currently, so I can switch back and forth between flats and rounds if I want to.