1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finally want to mod the jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redielg, Jan 18, 2012.

1. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    staticmap?center=28.568578,-81.175339&zoom=14&markers=28.568578,-81.

Hey guys, I've posted before on wanting to mod my wiring harness on my Jazz before. Currently, my 2006 MIM jazz has model J's and a standard wiring harness. Before, I had some crazy ideas about mods, but I was want to keep it simple now.

I should mention that before I mod anything, I'm going back to single coils. I hated the stock pups, and the Model J's were a breath of fresh air and worked great for the rock band I used to be in. But, I feel my Jazz needs to be a Jazz. I need that alnico sound back in my life. :bassist:
    I'm either getting some lindy fralin or nordstrand single coils when funds permit. After that, its finally mod time.

THE MOD

I want to install a parallel/series mod. that's it. at one time I thought doing stack concentric controls with a parallel/series switch, but I don't think that would fit a standard jack plate and i didn't want any routing and it just seemed eccentric. SO, I'm keeping it simple.
    My question is what parts would I require to pull this off and where I could finding a wiring diagram. I'm thinking all I need is a 250k Push/pull pot for the neck volume, 250k pot for the bridge volume, 250k pot for the tone and the tone capacitor, right? Any help is appreciated, I want to know all the facts before I go do any of this. =)

2. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    Hey thanks for the quick response but I'd rather do a push/pull pot mod than drill a whole for a dpdt switch.

3. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    jass_bass_sp.

This better? :D

4. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
  5. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    From what I understand its 250k for single coil 500k for humbuckers. They can be either solid shaft or split,either will work,you just have to see which ones will fit your knobs. They sell conversion sleeves for making split shafts compatible with solid shaft knobs. Linear or audio taper comes down to preference. Youtube has a video of how both sound. I liked the way the audio sounded better, but will probably get the linear as well. I want to compare the two for myself.

Edit: linear or audio for volume. Audio for tone.

6. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    So I have to find a solid shaft 250k audio push pull pot. I only find split shaft ones.

7. ojo

ojo Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Round Lake
    I used a split shaft pot, put a plastic shim (read: cutout from a credit card) in the space, and put a solid shaft knob on there. Worked fine.

Um, did you also mean to display a google map at the top of your post?

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    concentrics will fit in a fender no problem.

You'd have to get a new plate but those are cheap.

I like the look and more room for a switch, but an S1 switch would be my choice for a standard 4 hole plate.

[​IMG]

If you wind up installing a switch, be sure to start the hole with a nailset/punch or another tiny drillbit...it'd b a shame to marr the plate if (god forbid) you start on the wrong side.

Here's to your project! mine was 2 years in the making.

9. redielg

redielg

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami
    I posted this from my iPhone and that came up as an option. I didn't know it would most a map. >.>