Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FINALLY!!! we have a mixing engineer and a finishing date - any chicago-ites?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by john turner, Jun 27, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, after what seems like forever, we've got a final d-day set for mixing our first cd. we're going to use neil kernon, who's a real badass - he's mixed and produced all kinds of cool stuff, from queensryche's rage for order, to the most recent cannibal corpse offering ( :eek: :D ). he even did hall and oates' biggest albums (like private eyes), grammy nominated and even won a grammy for a petra album. he did live sound for queen back in the day, and mixed and produced a bunch of brand x albums too. this is awesome, we're all so excited.

he's going to mix it the 3rd week of july, so we're headed to chicago, starting probably the 14th or 15th. any chicagoites (is that right?) let me know, i'm going to have a lot of time on my hands for that whole week that i'm there and i'd love to hang.

so it's mixed that week, another day for mastering with jay frigoletto and then a month for replication, and -whamo- product!! :D :rolleyes: finances willing, that should be around the end of august, beginning of september.

man, this is so exciting - we've worked towards this, and sacrificed so much, for the past 6 years, and it's finally happening. bet you guys thought it would never happen, huh? :D

2. how the mighty have fallen, eh? how'd you get him to mix you wankers?

:D seriously though, congratulations and good luck. i wish you minimal disasters and no particular harm.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    hey man.. you could come up to my place, 4 hours away, but im at camp then... 9th-21st. :( oh well. somday soon... on tour! :eek: :D

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

:D yeah, really. he had this sign "will mix for doughnuts". we just got lucky.

thanks, sounds like the benediction for the church of the subgenius. :D

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, as always, i like the way you think eric :D we'll call it the "tour de farce" :D :rolleyes:

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    good one john :D you know ill stoop to anything, even touring with lord only, to get out of school ;)

if you start circling around atlanta... you might be up here by next summer :eek:

seriously, give me a call when your ready to play a show.... fruanthal performing arts center baby :D you gots the # to there right? lets go....!

7. JT: you wanna hang? I'll be back in the Chicago area just about the whole time you'll be there.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that would be great. as soon as i get the travel arrangements squared and i know where i'll be staying, i'll pm you with some contact info.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, as long as you have some extra time, swing by Hawaii! I don't know if you are into men in uniform, but I will be on a Navy drill durring that time so come on over big guy... ;) :eek: :D

Congratulations on your mixing by the way... :) I am very much looking forward to listening to the rest of your tunes!

10. Wait, wait, my bad. In my euphoria I misread and thought you said August 14/15.

I will be in Rochester until probably August 11th, so I guess I won't be around.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats, JT! You're gonna give a 25% discount off your cd to everyone from TB, right??? :D

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you're REALLY hard up for something to do, drop me an e-mail. :cool:

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    JT - where's the studio? I'm out in the far NW 'burbs, and I'd like to meet up at some point. Also, for ideas on things to do, try MetroMix. Also, as befitting my username, I can give recs on quite a few restaurants in the area.

PM or email me when you find out where you're staying, m'kay?

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Mike - where 'ya at again?

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Arlington Heights. It's a quick jaunt to get into the city, unless I'm going to the south side. You're closer to Evanston, right?

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think it's a wise move to spend some money to get the thing done by a real pro. Especially after all the time you spent recording it, the project deserves a good wrap! Will you send it to a mastering house and do a real pressing too? (You know, you'll easily sell a couple of hundred copies to TB'ers alone...)

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, we're trying to make this thing as pro as possible. we have a great mastering engineer lined up.

we're also thinking about making a vinyl pressing down the road some time - each cd would be a double album. how cool is that? :D

i hope you're right, o-man. :)

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nope. West of you just past Schaumburg.

19. If you're just past Schaumburg, you're not in the far NW 'burbs. ;)

(My folks live in a nebulously defined area that may be part of McHenry, Johnsburg, or Lakemoor.)

20. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Price is not a factor,whatever your selling the cd's for,I'm in. -Luke

P.S. I think I might take two. = )