Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally, work for the FAQ begins!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yawnsie, Jun 17, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Okay, the time for talk is over - this is the first thread for the much discussed Amps FAQ. The following is a post originally written by Joris, which deals with frequencies, power, speakers, and efficiency (Not enough room for impedence, I'm afraid):

If you have any comments, improvements, questions or corrections, post them in this thread.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think a little blurb on impediance is needed. As an example, you may recall a discussion on Carvin cabs. For whatever reason, Carvin seems to like to give you an 8 ohm top and a 4 ohm bottom... If people understand that bridging these two cabinets will cause a extremely low 2.6 ohms and most likely hurt their amplifiers, they will be better off.

3. i printed that when joris first posted it, and i still have it :)

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I couldn't print what Joris wrote about impedance because of the 10000 letter limit, so here it is:

5. Hmmmm. It doesn't work this way I guess. Let's put this back on toppada list.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Not for your bass tone... but for your character limit.

Split the FAQ into two parts and put them both at top. :)

7. I'm currently compiling and writing a preliminary version of an FAQ covering EVERY aspect of bass amplification I could think of, taking MikeyD's list of topics as a guideline. When I'm done, I'll email the Word document to those interested, and I'll process any suggestions and additions into it. Sections I'm not very knowledgeable about will be left almost blank (like the valves sections).

Because of the 10,000 character limit, it won't be possible to put it in a post. It will most likely be ten times that (!). Instead I suggest putting it on a separate place on the TB.com server, outside of the forums, but links will point you to the right place. Alternatively, the whole thing could be stored at one of the places I have personal server space.

It'll take a few weeks.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Put me on the list! Not that I know anything that you do not... I just like to be included. I might be able to help you find a good place to insert a joke or two also. :)

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Count me In too..
    I want to help on anything that I can.