Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JerryR, Mar 28, 2001.

1. JerryR

JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    My Carvin RC 210 & 18 came today and I'm STOKED !!
    (My wife just gave it loving stares and lots of uh huh's .)

Questions to any of you 210 owners out there......Since the headphone jack doesn't disconnect the speaker output is there anyway to practice quietly with this rig ??
    Is it safe to disconnect the speakers and run the head that way ??
    Please help.......I agreed to sell my other gear when I bought this and it had a headphone jack that cut the speakers.

2. Running the Redline amp without the speakers connected should be fine. It's got a solid state power section, and on the new series 3's even the preamp tube has been removed and they've gone to a tube emulation circut so you shouldn't have any problems. I've done it a few times on my R1000 with no adverse effects.

The only precausion I can think of with your set up is DON'T try to run those cabs in bridged mode, you'll get a 2ohm load which the amp cannot handle in bridged. I found that out the hard way when I didn't know about the ohm ratings and such.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, you should be totally fine disconnecting the cables from the input jacks on the cabs to practice with only your headphones.

If in doubt, check with the techs at Carvin, but I am positive this should be fine.

4. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have your same rig. Unplugging the speakers is okay. I personally try to set the volume down first before connecting or disconnecting the speakers.

Relative to the comment about running bridged, one cannot overemphasize the importance of reading and understanding the manual. The Redline heads are rather complex. I've figured them out, but it took some doing (including mapping the signal flow from the circuit diagrams so I could see how all the pieces fit together). I also have written down the settings that I like in case they are moved.

I hope you enjoy your new stack!

- Mike

5. JerryR

JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    thanks guys.
    And MikeyD, yeah these RL heads are rather complex. I must have read through those manuals 3 or 4 times already and still I find my self scratching the noggin' from time to time.

BTW this thing ROCKS I had to take a quick check around to make sure nothing fell off the walls !

6. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jerry, I just received my Rc210 a few days ago, and you are exactly right about reading and still scratching your head. this thing was not designed for idiots, but I bought it anyway....... And Yes, it does rock.

And your lucky your wife at least gave it "loving stares". Mine just gave me the "disaproving wife look" that I know so well, and said "great, another expensive toy for you to play with". LOL

have fun with it

fisk

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    It would be cool if they sold the RC210 with the RL1000 as an option. I'm thinking the 210 itself must be rated for at least 400 watts RMS @ 4 ohms, I believe the 10's are rated at 200 each.

Running the RL1000 just to the 210 full range would be 350 watts at ~4 ohms.

Here's the good part though. If they sold the RC210 with the RL1000 as an option, you would gain an extra 100 watts biamping to each cab, if they are both rated @ 4 ohms. So that could be 350 to the 10's and horn and 350 to a 15 or 18.

The 250 that the RL600 puts out to each cab is pretty loud, imagine what kind of damage the RL1000 would do in the same setup! :D

You would just have to watch how hard you drive the 210 if there's a lot of bass EQ'd to the signal, but other than that, I think they should offer it. :)

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - I use my R1000 to drive my 2x10, and one of the drivers developed a "rub", so I had to replace it. This was probably because I was running it full range, and some big suspension excursions and heat damaged it (there may have been a little clipping involved, too). I have since inserted a high-pass filter (.0069 uF capacitor)
    in the preamp2 send/return loop to keep the lows out of the 2x10, so I can run full-range into both cabinets. I have found that bi-amping this rig does not sound as good, nor is as loud, as running it full-range.

- Mike

P.S.: I am planning on writing a review of the R600/R1000 (Series II) heads, and I may offer to upload my signal diagram. I just hope Carvin won't object to this; I may have to ask if it's okay to "publish" that. IMO, it's something they should have provided with the manual, but didn't.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    cool Mikey

I'd be interested in seeing that.

Yeah, biamp v. full range is a preference thing IMO, but full range will definitely have more volume given the lows are being pushed throughout the entire rig.

So far, I have preferred the sound of biamping, and I feel it gives me better control of the dynamics between the upper and lower cabs. I often go for a sparkling bell type tone out of the tens without the lows creeping in, so it compliments the 18 with a cleaner response. I let the 10's handle the upper definition to my overall sound, and let the 18 reinforce the rumble. Then I just adjust the crossover until I reach a desired balance, but I probably keep it higher than most people.

As I said though, it's totally preference, I know people who do it both ways. :)

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks - you gave an intelligent explanation for your preference for biamping, and I respect it. I probably wanted a bit more low midrange power than you wanted from yours.

I'll try to write a review of the RL heads fairly soon. Meanwhile, my diagram is a neatly hand-drawn thing scanned into a .jpg file. I can e-mail it to you if you want to write me and provide your e-mail address. It's about 208 kBytes.

- Mike

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Sure thing, I will send a pm now. Thanks!