Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heretic, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I finally have enough money to get my first head+cab rig thanks to all the graduation money I've been getting. I'm for sure getting an Ashdown MAG 300H but I can't decide on which avatar cab is for me. Right now I'm using an Ampeg 15" combo and just don't really like the sound of it. I'm pretty sure a 115 is out of the question. I've been leaning towards the 410 NEO lately because I want a tighter, punchier tone. I've heard that 410s generally do not have much in the way of lows but I string my Ibanez BTB with flats and I'm sure it will help even out the highs/lows (correct?) Then again there is the 212. I've heard that they are the perfect balance and everyone is using them but I just think the 410 is for me. Any opinions? Does anyone else here use the Mag300H/Avatar 410 combo?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    one 410 will have low end response similar to a 1x15, but it will also respond better to mids and highs.

Basically, 410's tend to be better-rounded across the whole frequency spectrum than a 15.

the 212 would have more booty than the 15, and probably just a bit less punchy than the 410...

you would like either, most likely.

Although, people do say the avatar 212's are loud as hell.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'd go with a 212.

15's don't just add low end, they add a fullness and richness to the tone that I find alot of 10's can't get. 12's are a nice compramise.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    No question, 212...the NEO version is coming out this summer (August) if you can wait.
  5. HMMMM the 212 has a good rep around here and it's a bit cheaper. I could use the extra casholine to stock up on strings. What will the NEO have over the standard one?

Thanks for the replies... keep'em coming

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    About 20 lbs less weight (55 lbs) and probably a longer x-max(more cone travel which = fuller tone @ all frequencies), if you judge it by what Dave has done with the Deltas and Kappas vs his other NEO's

Price point hasn't been established, but I'd expect it to be $20-$30 more...a mere pittance for the weight savings!!!