Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    She's finally alive, and back to kick-arse spec after a TON of bad luck, delays, faulty parts and other problems. Man, I've got to tell you this thing is an absolute MONSTER!

VERY special thanks to Psycho Bass Guy for all of his advice, suggestions, overall help, and tons of patience with my 3 billion PM's and non-stop questions.

It got a new power tube set (Sovtek KT-88's), all new preamp tubes (12w7's and 12DW7's are J/J, C64, and 12BH7's are NOS), a new power transformer, all new cap kit, and a few resistors have been replaced too. It is 100% ready to rock, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Man these things are loud.....I can't get past 5 on the master without it becoming painfully loud in the living room.
  2. 1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    Looks (and no doubt sounds!) sexy!

Glad its working!, looks mint, does it still have the attached speaker cable or did you replace it ?
  3. I have the same exact head. It is indeed a thing of beauty.

I seriously cannot get mine past 3 tho, without my ears bleeding. You gots moxie good sir!

Glad you have it back, what a beauty.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

- georgestrings
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No, she's not mint. The front panel is actually flaking quite a bit, and there are some tears in the tolex that someone has sort of "patched". Call it mojo, if you will :)

I didn't know the mid to late 70's models came with an attached cord....either way, mine is not.
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You're welcome to come check it out. I will be home most all day Friday, most all the weekend, then gone south again for 2 more weeks.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I had that same exact head, though I was missing the Ampeg logo. I sold it last summer to a fellow TB'er. Great amp, and you're right - it was loud!
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad to hear that it's back in action, Tim! Hopefully, all the bad luck is now behind you. :)
  9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  10. did you ever manage to get those bastages to cover your costs?
    looks awesome! :bassist:
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nah, turns out there were a bunch of different things that all had to go wrong at once to cause such a catastrophy. Apparently with my luck, just that happened. It's all water under the bridge now, but apparently my bad luck has now transferred over to my work van :bawl:
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah, maybe you should start a blues band or something....

Glad you got the SVT in order though.... the thing must be good as new and killer!
  13. 1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    It doesnt look too bad considering its porobably over 30 years old ! and it might just be the really early ones, either way, cool as hell, i want one!!
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Rip down some walls, and make your living room bigger. :D