Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finally !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 13, 2003.

1. OK, here's a nice pressie for ya's!

http://www.geocities.com/martyhaig/techie.html

click "download song"...

It's about 1 MB, and not exactly great, but hey!#

It's not exactly musical, I just jammed to try out recording... BUt - be brutally honest, do you like it? How is the timing? Steady, or aweful?

Give it to me, baby! :rolleyes: :cool:

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Miscellaneous.......

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm not really the bass god here, (ok I kinda stink), but being brutally honest? I think the timing sounds a little off..I had trouble finding the meter..what is it? The line has a neat soudn to it though, keep workin at it!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...you seemed to be in time with whatever strange meter you were in...but I couldn't really find the meter, maybe if the clip was longer....also watch your levels when you are recording...you had some distortion due to that....even the most rudimentary sound recording programs allow you to adjust the levels, and if they don't then do it within your computers mic(or sound input) control panel.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Honest?....

no, no i don't think i will be.

6. lol @ PB

Here's a clue for my timing meter.. What the heck IS THAT?! :confused: :rolleyes:

I was using windows recording proggie, ehncew why it's so big, I did this in a rush, my PC mic always distorts. I'm gunna look into it again later on.. :)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    what you want to do is get a 1/4 inch(guitar cord) -->1/8 inch(headphones...etc.) adaptor plug your bass into your computer directly(via the external mic input...think of your bass as an external mic ;) ...it won't sound great but you'll get no backround noise and less distortion.

Thats the cheapest easiest solution.

But,if you have cash to spend...I recommend getting either: a cheap 4 track mixer(not even necessarily a recording unit...just a mixer) then plug your amp into the mixer, plug your bass into the mixer and the mixer into the computer...this will produce the clearest sound with the most control over the sound(levels on the mixer, levels on the amp, levels on the bass, levels in the computer)

I currently use my Turntables mixer and plug my bass into that...it works as a simple I/O to get into my computer and out of my speakers...but I don't have as much tonal control as I'd like...I'm in the market for a nice 4 or 6 track mixer...but I'm in no rush.

Its excellent hearing people getting into recording, I think its a great hobby and dare I say "career" if you are at all serious about it. Recording is very fun, and it can be a very useful practice aid...if you record everything you play then listen to it later you will hear your flaws and be better set to fix them.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, way to go with the encouragement. At least this guy had the guts to record summit and put it online. I presume you're some sort of bass virtuoso then?

I must say I didnt hear much as it crashed my media player and of what I heard you had some recording problems - sounding pretty grainy.

My comment on the actual playing - like I said I didnt hear much, but it sounded sketchy. Try playing the same piece to a click, or maybe just tapping your foot?

Practice makes perfect... yet nobody's perfect? :confused:

9. so why practice?

anyways, i didn't hear much, and im not that great (i suck a lot) :D but it seems like your mic (or whatever you used to record) is, well, off, try messing w/ that, and at least your brave enough to post it up on the net :D

10. I'm a nobody!!! :D

I know I'm not great, but listening to other's advice, weather they give me the heads up or down, can only make me better...

I'll try another tonight. :)