1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Financial turmoil & the first thing to go is gear

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Jan 18, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Unfortunately I'm forced to sell gear. Again. Ironically it's the stuff that makes me happy, in short, some of the things I work for or work toward. Camera gear, basses, guitars--they're the only things I have of value. I hate to see them go but in time I get my hands on something again. Just had to vent because I'm not happy.
    The end.

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Welcome to the club, I've sold bass' to pay the rent.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When you can afford it, downgrade to more affordable gear. TB can warp our sense of what we need. Most of us would be happy with modestly priced gear, especially if were take our time and catch good deals.

I am determined to stay within my means when it comes to gear purchases. It makes no sense to buy something you cannot afford, only to have to sell it at a loss, the moment you have a financial hiccup.

4. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    How about being poor?

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sometimes, a person might be too poor to afford gear. If you can afford gear, stay within your budget! For years, I bought stuff on credit or finance plans, and time and time again, stuff happened that I had not planned on that put me in the hole. Hard financial reality and the responsibilities of family have made me slow down and make better decisions. I'm not perfect, but I am doing better.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I must admit I'm real close to getting out, myself. The cost of starting a new business in this economy with no credit is killin me. And the sad thing is even though my gear is worth a decent amount of money it won't really make a dent in being where I need to be financially. I've definitely made the decision if I get out I'm done, except maybe a decent acoustic guitar if I get back on my feet. Lately Music has been a cruel mistress to me at best.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I sure hope things work out.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Been there, done that. I've got a Mexican Jazz and a baritone acoustic that I designed. Everything else is sold. No amps, no effects.

I haven't played in years. I miss it, but I love where I am now.

9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah. A lot of tunnel, little light. I'm even selling my fretless that I said I'd never sell. it's not worth a lot but my father gave it to me before he passed away & it's the only thing I have from him. Whatever it's just an object.
    IM so poor I don't even have membership on tb otherwise I'd sell it here , not on that damn ebay. when I'm back on my legs I'll just get one good used bass. Don't ask which one I don't know. It might be refreshing to start over anyway.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You'll probably lose more in eBay fees than you would for the membership here.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Stay strong and keep plugging away. Things will get better.

12. Cheese - I really like this statement. Thanks for posting it.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive sold off gear to put a few extra bucks in my pocket, but its not something Id consider a loss, as it wasnt gear I was using or particularly special to me. The first time, I sold off my bass rig, because I was no longer using it, and had other means of amplification. I sold off my first bass because it was a piece of crap, and my first amp because it was just taking up space.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I know things can be tough when every penny counts, but if there's any way you can avoid sellinng this one, then keep it. It's irreplaceable. Most things aren't, but this is.

Best of luck, I hope things get better from here.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Also, a +1 to not selling on eBay. Put it on craigslist, or a similar site, for more than your bottom line, and dont accept any offers out of deseperation.

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If you have a lot of them and sell the ones you don't play, sure.

I'd rather play bass to pay the rent to be honest.......

17. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Me to, but when times are tough, you have no other choices.

18. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    It also brings the overall price of gear down.

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    You're right.

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011