1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Find myself looking

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WayneGrass, Aug 5, 2012.

1. WayneGrass

WayneGrass

May 2, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Well, yesterday I called one of my bandmates (and bestbriend) to discuss some band business. I found out that he and another bandmate have decided that our band is on a hiatus. Really? They cancelled a few gigs, and someother stuff. Definitely a sucky situation.

Anyway, I find myself in a position of needing to find another paying gig. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of contacts. Craigslist sucks....bad. How do I proceed?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    ^ First, get yourself a best friend who doesn't suck...

3. Post your own craigslist ad. Be specific. Don't include your phone # or email. Use anonymous. Be prepared to sort through spambots, flakes and no account players.
    I have been very successful getting gigs, players and contacts through CL.
    But I do live in L.A. so maybe it's easier.

4. WayneGrass

WayneGrass

May 2, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Well, I am near Nashville, but there is a ton of crap on CL. I have actually treid my own CL ad several times. I didn't get very many responses. Just the usual "you invest in me and I'll invest in you" crap. Problem is I am about 2 hours from Nashville. That's not far, but to get itno the scene in Nashvillel, you have to network. I am a bit far to just go hangout some place and hope I meet someone. We'll see.

5. Nashville, the home of broken hearts and dreams. Network at home ;)

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I'd talk to your buddy and find out what's going on in more detail with your current band.

What are the issues and what can be done about them? What big problem came up that caused a decision like that to be made without you? Why were they having meetings/discussions on the sid.

I suspect that he's got another band together and wanted to let you down easy by using the 'hiatus' routine on you. And he's probably playing the cancelled gigs with his other band. :(