1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finding a beginner bass around $300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bambam123, Apr 22, 2010.

1. bambam123

bambam123

Apr 22, 2010
    Guitar is my main instrument, but lately i started messing around with my friends bass and i decided i want to learn bass. I'm looking to buy a bass around 300 bucks. I'm especially interested in the squier basses. what do you guys recommend between the vintage modified and the classic vibe series. Also which is better between a p bass and a jazz bass. I want to play various types of music but i really like playing red hot chili peppers music. What do you guys think about the squier deluxe bass with active pickups?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    In the $300 price range I think you can find better basses used. A variety of ESP Ltd & Schecter as good example. Your also right at the edge price wise for an Ibanez Sr300. Also a better bass imo thats normally available for right at $300. But if squire is your choice, then the vintage vibe series is best choice imo. As far as active eq basses, I think the ESP Ltds, Schecters, Ibanez's and Peaveys do it better.

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    P or J, now there's a can of worms if I ever saw one.

TBH you'd be better off to just play a P and J back to back and decide which one you prefer, I myself am a P man.

Also, with Squier you can't really go wrong, they are cheap, simple and reliable, even the affinity series are great basses for the money. If I remember right Flea plays a P when he plays a Fender, but don't quote me on that.

4. yep can never go wrong with a good ol fender! just make sure you play it first :) sometimes there quality control aint the best. (no offence to fender, I still love em)

5. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    Squier CV !!!

6. Go with SX, get a P and a J!

7. Attack Sunfish

Attack Sunfish

Apr 3, 2010
    I have played my MIM (Made in Mexico) Squier Jazz Bass for 14 years now, and have never had any problems with it. It isn't perfect, but it's good and I have never needed another bass, it has that rock sound I want. That said, I don't know if the current Squiers are as good anymore. My brother has a Indonesian Squier P-bass, and it is junk: you can see the bend in the neck from across the room. The frets are so rough you could saw down a tree with that thing. He bought it off a kid on the bus when we were kids, didn't know any better.
    I did try a Washburn P bass a few days ago in a store, and it was certainly tempting for a little over $200. I would try out the Classic Vibe and an Epiphone, too, for kicks. Definitely check your local pawn shop and Craigslist, keep an open mind, and who knows what you will find. I have seen really nice old custom basses go for $500 before.

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    A bit confused. He bought when you were kids, but it is a "current" Squier?

You owe it to yourself to go try the VM, CM or Deluxe Active Jazz series at any music store that carries Squier.

I don't own one, but every one I have picked up has been of excellent quality. None of them has exhibited the issues your brother's has. I'd happily own one if I had need of another bass.

The OP, I think I'd recommend a P-bass if you are only going to get one bass. Most here would just get one of each, but since guitar is your primary I'd go simple.

The P is straightforward and appears simple, but shifting your plucking hand to different positions can yield a nice variety of sounds. A lot of classic rock has been recorded using a P-bass for good reason.

Less fiddling with knobs and pickup position too.

9. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Vintage modified or classic vibe?! I assume you meant Classic Vibe.

10. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    look into the special p, best of both worlds there... Id also recommend sleeping on it for a week or so before shelling out the doughs

11. I just recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified Bass and I really love it! It looks & plays great, I use mine for praise & worship at church and have got many compliments on it. You can't beat it for $299.00!!!:hyper:

12. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    Yamaha RBX 170 used, about $100-150 depending.

Ibanez 300 used, great sound, fast neck can be had easily for $150. I got mine for $100 used and have passed on a couple of others for the same price.

Schecter deluxe 4, used. I got one used for $100 and I really love this bass. I even picked up a studio 4 for less than 300, new condition.

Squier VM jazz I really like too

13. andrew1306

andrew1306

Jun 7, 2009
    You *can* beat it - SX (essex). I have an Ibanez SR300 and a SX PJ (ash). Ibanez is 1 year old the SX 4 months. Neither has left the house. I was very happy with the SR300, but less so now - The pots have started getting noisy and sometimes the stacked bass/treble knob cuts out the sound completely. Also the looks are ok, but not really good for all situations (vs a fender clone). Generally the SR300 feels like a much cheaper bass than the SX which feels more like a 'real' instrument. Playability on both is pretty much the same (though it took some getting used to the SX after the ultra light SR).

Another annoyance is the SR active electronics which are really not needed as a beginner and replacing the 9V is annoying (ok, replacing is ok, paying for a new one and always having one ready to replace with is annoying).

As a beginner, I suggest getting a SX, it's ~3-4x less than the other cheap basses and equivalent in quality (or better). Plus it looks the part, as opposed to the SR... My2cts

14. My $.02.........

LOVE my Squier VM Fretless. Great bass for the money. Squier has stepped up their game and the whole CV/VM line bears consideration.

OR.........you could go the SX route from Rondo and, for $300, get both a P and a J style and then you'll get to play both. Then, come upgrade time, the decision might be a little easier.

And....SX make great mod platforms too!

Good luck!

15. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    You can either get an essex or go used, music go round is a great place, the one in my area has a MIM Fender Jazz for 300.

16. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Buy used....

There are a ton of really nice gear out there. More nice cheap basses than nice cheap guitars (IMHO).

Bought my MIM P-Bass for $200. I have a few dollars more into it, but no where near $300. Plus, I'm having fun putting it together.

I'm almost done. Should have the final pics this weekend. (BTW, a bass is a lot easier to work on than a guitar)

Wohooo! Got me a P Bass off CL!

Good luck

17. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I've been playing for about eight years now, and even in that relatively short amount of time I can say that $300 will buy you a nicer bass now that it would when I first started playing. Even now I'm considering picking up one of the Squier CV P-basses. Squier's really stepped up their game in the past couple of years, no doubt. Definitely worth a look.

18. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    For an SX like everybody keeps talking about, check out:

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

I bought one of their 5 strings off the bay a couple of years ago. It was $119 plus $10 shipping, brand new. It seems to be quite good. Looks like they might have gone up $10 since then.

19. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    +1 to taking a look at SX, too. I have two SX basses and a Douglas six-string (a particular model that they unfortunately don't carry anymore). SX basses are pretty solid for the money.

20. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Yamaha BB414