Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

finding a drummer on the college scene

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    on campus, guitars are a dime a dozen, there are enough bassists to go around, singers can be found if desired, but there are no freakin drummers anywhere! it's probably because on campus people either live in a dorm or in a small shared apartment, so they have no room for a drum set. so how am i supposed to find a drummer to start a band?

2. i'm in the same situation, and i don't have an answer. :(

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    drummers/bassists are hard to find these days... (well not if your amember of TB:D) and GOOD singers are hard to find too :D

4. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    is there a talkdrums.com? maybe we should have a merger into talkrythm.com hehe

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That would never work. Most musicians can't spell the word "rhythm," so they'd never get to the website.

;)

6. That's because musicians spell it the way they feel it.. You know,

www.talkriddim.com

But at least it's not. www.0101001110.com

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, you must be at the wrong campus, then ;)... up at UW-Green Bay you can't swing a dead cat without hittin a drummer. I actually met one who said he was having trouble finding a GUITARIST!!! (damn cheeseheads) Anyway, try the local instrument store... they usually have fliers of available people, or, like some do in GB, have a directory of available people. Good luck!

Oh yeah, try the whole music magazine/paper scene. Near Chicago we have the Illinois Entertainer that has classifieds for musicians and whatnot.

8. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    was that a threat?

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    http://www.themode.com/

Good luck. Finding a drummer is one thing...finding a good drummer is nearly impossible. You may have luck getting to know someone in the marching band. I agree with Tober to an extent. The hardest thing I deal with is finding a good singer. It's so important. The singer can really make or break you for an audience. Nobody wants to sound like Karaoke during a gig.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I mean DarkMazda (duh)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Get off campus and integrate with the local community?

I remember being on a campus when I was at college and a lot of people never went into the local town - just stayed isolated! But a group of us determined to get into town as much as possible and there were a lot more possibilities for music.

I ended up going for an audition with three guys (2 guitars & drums)from the local dockyards, who weren't much older than me and I joined their band and played with them around town as well as playing with people on the campus - although we only had one drummer at college - and he was a "mature" student, who had his own transport and drove in daily! ;)

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No, would you like it to be? ;) :)