1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding a Female Vocalist/Bassist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Swicked, Mar 7, 2013.

1. So i've started an art punk band with a main lineup of two basses and a kit. Thing is, I've noticed that a lot of my songs would sound better if they had some Lydia Lunch type backing vocals helping me out.

My current 2nd bass player is way more confident and adept on synth and kit which is great since I've always wanted to make some two kit songs.
    The trouble is, I've concluded I'm searching for a female singer who not only takes her bass playing seriously but is open to the entire experimental aspect of music. I have no idea where to start. No idea at all.

How do you guys find Band Members? Especialliy ones as specific as this?:confused:

2. Bump.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I met mine on an online dating site.

I did have to marry her, though.

4. Damn. Don't know if I'm that dedicated

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Just look for a female bassist - a lot of women who play an instrument can also sing, even if they don't want to be a lead vocalist and don't really consider themselves a singer. You'll improve your odds of finding what you need that way.

A female singer who's serious about bass playing and loves art punk is a tall order. A female bassist who can throw in some vocals and would be equally happy playing art punk or R&B isn't too hard to find.

6. Hmm so where do I start? Any good sites?

7. How about here? I'd imagine a bassist or two from your area might be lurking TB, just pick a good subforum.

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Where are you located? Unless you're in a big city with swarms of musicians all looking for bands, it's pretty rare to be able to dictate exactly what kind of person you want and get exactly that person. More often you need to find a good person who's interested and work with the skills they have. So what's more important to you - do you really need a bassist, or a vocalist, or just someone who's into art punk? Advertise for that (only) on CL and music stores etc. and then see what you can make of what you actually HAVE as a group.

9. Is there any way to find out if there are any TB'ers from my area?

10. Well I am the lead vocalist as well as one of the bass players. I say that ideally I would want a female bass player who is also open to singing at some points.

11. Bump?

12. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    also, often what you want and what you get are two different things, but what you end up getting is as good or better than what you wanted in the first place. applies to finding band members as well as life.

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yup, that makes a big difference. This will be a lot easier in a big college town.

14. I'm located in Brisbane Australia.

15. Surely you can dip into the pool of talent at the conservatorium?

Good luck with it.

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, some music conservatory students are willing to play non-classical music even if it doesn't pay well, while others don't want to or even can't because their professors won't allow it - I don't know how Australia is, but you can ask around.

Also try asking college girls studying things like art history and psychology if they have any friends who play bass.

17. How would I go about doing that? Just place an add? I'm starting at uni soon but at UQ or QUT

18. Why would their professors forbid it?

19. bumping

20. Bumping to know if there is a way to find out if any tb'ers live near me.