1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding A Good Amp Head Case

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassKitty101, Mar 5, 2013.

1. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    I don't know how many of my fellow bassist's have always struggled to find a good hard case/ flight case for an amp head but I seemed to have that struggle for awhile.

The freaking things come in all shapes and sizes and there's hardly anything that is pre-made that will fit them and I don't know about you but I am wary to trust the random people who say "Yeah I'll build you one out of plywood and paint it black! For 300 dollars!"

I was looking for solutions and then my gun enthusiast friend said, "Hey you should try a pelican case!"

He showed me a few of his and I decided to order one that was a little bigger than my amp head (always want to do that with pelican cases since you want to have about an inch of foam surrounding your amp head on each side)

I have been astounded by the quality and invincibility of these things.
    They are:
    Water sealed, (you can seriously use these things as flotation devices)
    Made of the most rugged polymer I have ever seen.
    Have and awesome latch design that will NOT break or come off by itself.
    A place for a lock.
    Mine has a slide out carry handle and wheels built in so I don't have to carry the thing and I can just drag it through an ocean of a puddle or whatever.

Main thing I love about them...
    HANDLES
    These things are covered in them and they are as sturdy and comfortable as they come!

Full of pick n pluck foam (foam has little squares you can pick out to insure a perfect fit for your amp head)
    If you screw up and pluck too much, hot glue them back, no big deal.

No banging or sliding around inside your case, the amp is suspended in the most heavenly protective foam that I'd almost feel safe if this case flew out of the back of the trailer and rolled down the road. I can't say that about any other case.

Just a freaking phenomenal product, I hope you guys look into these when going to buy a case for your amp head cause they are pretty much THE SAME PRICE or even in this case CHEAPER as your joe smhoe "sturdy" flight case.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1610FBLK-Case-With-Black/dp/B0007PI0XW

http://www.pelican-case.com/1610.html

Just look at how nice my Ashdown ABM 500 sits in there! I even plucked space for the handle on the side!:bassist:

Attached Files:

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I agree.

3. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I was going to say build your own, but those look like they are fantastic if your amp head fits into it.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Wow. Good to know, thanks for that. :thumbsup:

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I have a few of them that I use for microphones. The quality is excellent, they are light, waterproof, have a pressure relief valve, and can really take a beating.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Trouble is that if the cops see you trundling down the street they'll come and check you out!! :D