1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finding a good tone.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThumpinKentucky, May 11, 2011.

1. ThumpinKentucky

ThumpinKentucky

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm having an issue finding a good tone with my amp. I have an Acoustic B200H head and an Acoustic B410 cabinet. Two different basses, BC Rich Mockingbird and a cheap Axl Player bass. (The Axl player has a decent sound kind of like a standard fender Pbass). But i'm just having a massive issue with finding a good sound through my amp. Everything I do sounds really tinny and weak. I'm looking for a nice deep warm tone. I was unable to find an amp setup guide or anything of that sort so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, it seemed like the best place to put it. Thanks.

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I would start by setting all the eq controls to the mid setting. You should get a completely undiluted sound to build from.

I notice in the amp manual it has a notch filter. If this is set counter clockwise it's going to take a lot of the low end out. Maybe this is the problem. The manual also has some suggested settings to try out:
    http://www.acousticamplification.com/prodImages/acousticAdmin/products/gallery/B200H-Manual.pdf

If you still have a drastic lack of low end I would suggest taking it back to the shop for them to check over. It could be faulty or there could be something you're missing.

3. ThumpinKentucky

ThumpinKentucky

Jul 22, 2009
    Thank you. i'll start working on it from there. What is the "notch filter"? Is it the frequency notch dial?

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Yes, it's the frequency notch dial. It provides a deep cut to the frequency it's set too. Therefore if it's set fully counterclockwise, it's going to remove a lot of the bass. Not wanting to sound rude or anything, but I suggest you read the manual fully to understand what the amp is capable of.