1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finding a new bass (Yamaha RBX-JM2 )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Steele, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    Yo guys, My name Is Johnny, and this is my first post so go easy! Im 18 and been playing for about 5 years now and am studying music at college. Playing a bog standard Aria 4 string right now as I've been saving for something better and sinse im playing alot more technical metal bass than i was, I was thinking a 5 string could be in order! What do you guys recommend, heard many good things about a musicman stingray?

Oh and Im a huge dream theater fan, anyone know how the John Myung Yamaha RBX-JM2 sounds (although he's now using musicman aswell, i think) ? I appreciate its a 6 string but yeah just curious as to how it plays/sounds?

Sorry hectic post, so many questions! any help would be great.

Cheers, JS

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    the narrow string spacing and the meaty neck make for one amazing bass, especially for metal and rock! Trust me when i say you will not be dissapointed with it. Even his first signature bass was a beast! he tours with his bass, he just uses the Bongo for studio play. Anyways, there are a lot used on the internet, or on ebay. I'd check those first.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd certainly recommend a Stingray. I have a few of them and they are my favorite basses ever! The just got a Stingray 5 and the thing is a beast.

My singer was telling me last night all that he could hear was bass and he wanted me to turn down...so I told him no matter what you're going to hear this bass as it cuts through like a mother...but he didn't believe me. So just to indulge him, I turned down 1/4 volume!!! I was still loud and clear...and this is running a 600 watt head @ 8 ohms...putting out roughly 300 watts into a 4X12.

As far as Myung only playing a Bongo in the studio...guess again. Look at the 6th post...there are pics of him on stage with a Bongo...

http://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47383&highlight=Myung

4. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    Thanks for our help man! I take it it's just C to C, but then there's no E? which would be needed sometimes....is it unheard of to detune a 6 string at all? Sorry im conusing myself

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Huh? A 6 string is a 4 banger with a low B and a high C added...so it would be:

BEADGC

You can tune it however you want, but that's pretty much the standard...

6. Hey Johnny!
    I own both John Myung signature basses (RBXJM2 and RBX6JM), and I can guarantee you that the RBXJM2 rocks! Its got a really good sound, the string spacing is perfect (atleast for me)...and its a true beauty isnt it?

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The JM-2 disappoints me in many fields. The playability is not to my taste and the tone is as lacklustre as you'll find.

8. Johnny Steele

Johnny Steele

May 28, 2007
    AA thanks man, sorry all very new. i play to a reasonable standard I'm told, but dont have a clue about setuops and equipment its not healthy how cueless i am!!

Last Question: sinse im young and a student , i cant afford anything, ever! So I'm currently playing through a 30 watt marshall bass amp, any good upragding suggestions in the affordable amplification field?

Thanks guys, the help is much appreciated.
    Steele

9. Yeah, I agree. And the spacing could be too tight for some. The B-string is not that great, compared to a Stingray 5, which I think would be a better choice. And it's very much a one-trick pony. It is good value for the money though, they tend to be relatively cheap.

And you can get used Stingray 5:s for great prices just about anywhere. And you get the Series/Singlecoil/Parallel switch for the pickup, adding to the versatility. And more to that, there's three different pickup combinations to get as well, and piezo pickups if you'd like.:bassist:

http://www.basscentral.com is the place for MusicMan basses!

For amps, I'd reccomend Ashdown combo amps. They are now built in China, and are some of the most valuable amps you can find today.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021