Finding a place for my Cali 76

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MattFoes, Aug 18, 2021.

1. MattFoes

MattFoes

Jul 8, 2021
    So as it stands my chain is

Cali 76 -> SA EQ2 (Ch1) -> SA C4 Synth -> SA Aftershock -> SA Spectrum -> SA EQ2 (Ch2) -> DSM Bass Simplifier.

In the Parallel loop at the moment is a Moog MF Delay and MF Trem (leftovers from my guitar pedalboard).

I’ve unplugged and plugged these pedals in various arrangements. I like that the Cali 76 smooths out my attack for the C4 Synth and adds sustain for the drive. Is there any benefit to putting it after the Spectrum?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Looking at the rest of your chain, I think you probably have it in the best place right now.

Most times placing a compressor at either the front or the end of the chain works out best.

Depending on what you’re doing it can even be beneficial to have two compressors. The one at the front of the chain handles signal cleanup and sweetening prior to anything hitting your effects. Placing a transparent limiter type compressor at the end can come in handy making sure your overall signal level doesn’t fluctuate if you’re punching different effects in and out a lot.

3. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    I concur that it's in the ideal place for you.

On a side note, I saw zero benefit from having a compressor (also Cali76 at this time) before C4 myself, maybe because the tracking on C4 is already pretty decent. If I wanted to move the comp elsewhere, I wouldn't let that be the blocker.

4. MattFoes

MattFoes

Jul 8, 2021
    Thank you for replying!! I’ve put it at the end of the chain before, ratio all the way up to squash the mix a bit but it ended up making its way back to the front. I use the C4 for some synth sounds and as an Octave and the Cali 76 in front of it helps with attack consistency.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Yes indeed.

I’ve found putting some transparent compression (ex: Keeley Bassist) in front of an older octave pedal like a BOSS OC-2 goes a long way towards improving tracking with some basses.

One thing to note is that dirt pedals (i.e. Boost/OD/distortion) and especially fuzz all provide some level of compression as well.

MattFoes and odarellmc like this.
  6. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    I have mine last in the chain, as I find I like more control especially when using env filters, light compression on the cali76 I also have a genzler 4 kn the floor, I use that as a second (light) compression unit

MattFoes and 40Hz like this.
  7. MattFoes

MattFoes

Jul 8, 2021
    I might keep it where it is for now. Might get a chance to play around with the order during the week.

As of right now the limiter is on on the SA EQ2 as a hope to kind of squash the levels a bit so they dont spike although I'm not too sure if its global or if I can apply it to a specific channel, say channel 2 (my output EQ).

I also have a PreAmp FX Loop on the DSM, has/does anyone run their compression side chain?

8. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    I have, best to use a compressor with no blend like a diamond Jr, works just as you would expect.

MattFoes likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022