Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding a SS power amp to match a Mesa M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Sep 17, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Here's the deal, I'd like to buy another M-2000, but I don't have the money. I have two 4-Ohm 1516 cabs that I'd like to run at once (especially for an upcoming outdoor gig with no PA subs), but the load is too much for one M-2000 alone. I'd like to find an inexpensive power amp (maybe a QSC RMX series?) that will come close to the power of the M-2000 (running in bridged mode of course).

Now the M-2000 says it's a 600 watt amp, however I dare say it sounds much louder than that. Do I need a power amp rated at 600 watts bridged to match it, or should it be more like 1200 watts bridged?

Summary: I need a suggestion for a poweramp that is about equal to the M-2000 while running bridged at 4 Ohms.

Btw, pics of my new rig coming soon :O

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe try looking into a "speaker switcher" or "impedence matching" box that will make your amp think you have a 4ohm load even thought you'd actually have 2ohm? I've seen a thread around talking about this. try searching "speakermate" I think that was the name of the product.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you want more than 600 watts into 4 ohms x 2, then you'll need a two-channel power amp with 4-ohm power ratings of more than 600 watts or a single-channel amp rated at more than 1200 watts into 2 ohms.

There are quite a few amp models from various manufacturers that could fit that bill. You mentioned the QSC RMX line; there are the RMX 2450 (2 x 750W / ch into 4 ohms) and RMX 4050HD (2 x 1300W / ch into 4 ohms).

4. I believe the QSC RMX 850 is around 600 watts bridged at 4 ohms.