1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding a SS power amp to match a Mesa M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Sep 17, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Here's the deal, I'd like to buy another M-2000, but I don't have the money. I have two 4-Ohm 1516 cabs that I'd like to run at once (especially for an upcoming outdoor gig with no PA subs), but the load is too much for one M-2000 alone. I'd like to find an inexpensive power amp (maybe a QSC RMX series?) that will come close to the power of the M-2000 (running in bridged mode of course).

Now the M-2000 says it's a 600 watt amp, however I dare say it sounds much louder than that. Do I need a power amp rated at 600 watts bridged to match it, or should it be more like 1200 watts bridged?

Summary: I need a suggestion for a poweramp that is about equal to the M-2000 while running bridged at 4 Ohms.

Btw, pics of my new rig coming soon :O

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    maybe try looking into a "speaker switcher" or "impedence matching" box that will make your amp think you have a 4ohm load even thought you'd actually have 2ohm? I've seen a thread around talking about this. try searching "speakermate" I think that was the name of the product.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you want more than 600 watts into 4 ohms x 2, then you'll need a two-channel power amp with 4-ohm power ratings of more than 600 watts or a single-channel amp rated at more than 1200 watts into 2 ohms.

There are quite a few amp models from various manufacturers that could fit that bill. You mentioned the QSC RMX line; there are the RMX 2450 (2 x 750W / ch into 4 ohms) and RMX 4050HD (2 x 1300W / ch into 4 ohms).

4. I believe the QSC RMX 850 is around 600 watts bridged at 4 ohms.