1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding a summer job that works around a musicians schedule

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Apr 30, 2009.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Got any tips? The band(s) will have gigs on nights and hold rehearsals on weekends, so i need a weekday job starting in the morning.

Is this really impossible? My friends have jobs and they work through such **** hours its ridiculous. To be honest i don't really care what i do (as long as its not restaurants they take advantage of you--i have experience in this, call me picky but illegal shifts and illegal break time with call-in like policy SUCKS).

Does anybody have any advice on where to look?

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Without knowing your age, experience and skillset?

Not me.

3. a bank? all you need is a high school diploma and a clean background

4. not here,most banks are shutting down branches as fast as possible and putting up drive thru atms

5. Lawn care/ landscaping?

6. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    17/18 I'm good at certain things but not Certified.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    personally, i have a job at a music store, and i know the hours for the store were made to fit the schedule of...musicians!

8. My bass instructor used to work as a life guard. I work at a hotel during the day - unfortunately that includes weekends, so once I get to the point where I'm good enough to play out, I won't be able to play during the day on weekends. Same for lifeguard most of the time, too...

9. dude retail, most will work around what ever schedule you have.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Fill out your profile. WHERE ARE YOU?????

11. Any shop work could do. Or what about going out on a farm? Thats pretty popular back where I'm from, a lot of berry fields and if you put your mind to it (you get paid for what you picK), you can make a fair whack of money and have your nights free.

12. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    at that age, i would say construction or landscaping. Mourning hours and usually pretty flexible. Pays not bad either. You get to work out in the sun too and hoot and holler at cute girls

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Work as a lifeguard. I get to chill at the beach, and on days that I have gigs, I hand flyers out to all the hot chicks so they show up to my show. Since you don't have a location listed on your profile, I'm left to presume that you live near the beach, perhaps even the same town as me.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hey Maki, if youre interested, my band's playing somewhat locally. Well, it is the beach... plus, there are chicks making out on the flyer, how can you not want to go?!

KegFlyer.

/derail

15. It's not just chicks making out. It's chicks making out on kegs!

That means you can watch them at it while they get you a beer :D

16. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You do realize that not only do I have a broken foot but Redondo Beach is a good 45minutes to an hour north of Huntington right? :eyebrow: Although that is the area where I met my wife. Hmmm.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hmmm, I didnt realize it was a 45 min drive. Nor did I realize it was a 50 min. drive from my town of west covina. Regardless, Chicks making out on kegs.

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You got that going for ya, there's no arguing that. :D

19. Even if you aren't close to a beach, most towns have swimming pools; and a lot of hotels have them - with life guards - as well. It's worth looking into; the YMCA and several other organizations give classes to train you as a life guard if you're interested and they usually don't cost a lot of money - get the training now and you should be good to go by June!

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    ^Exactly.