Finding a teacher

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by JTGale, Apr 14, 2005.

1. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Many times here on the DB side of things, people pop up asking about how to learn, where to learn, and where to find a teacher. As I read these postings, I find them both helpful and sorely lacking. While Paul Warburton's suggestion of taking a look at your local Local is a good one, I have always wondered if there is more that we can do to help our fellow brethern and sistern find a teacher. Some live in the sticks. Others have just moved to an area and aren't familiar with where to look. Whatever the reason, I think we can help. With this in mind, here goes ...

This is a call for all DB teachers. I am looking for you to post the names of teachers and their contact information with specificity to location. This way, a person would be able to search the database and find a location, then a teacher. While comments about the teacher are welcome, personal beefs and criticisms should be kept to PMs. And speaking of PMs, let players know in your post if you are willing to be contacted via PM if questions about the teacher arise.

Make sense? Kinda simple, down and dirty, find someone a teacher ... Any and all suggestions about this post are welcome. :D

Keep it low,

~ jtg
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Put me down for the NYC are for bass/theory and slab. I can help a bit with the stick, but I would redirect anyone looking to go straight classical.

Ray Parker
    (917) 723-6581

In the west-end-of-Lake Erie region (Toledo-Detroit-Ann Arbor-Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati-Chicago), make a note to call my dad. He's not going to be able to give you too much on technique, but he'll kick your ass with the applied theory/listening/history/how to play thing. He would also be able to direct you to a good teacher in your area for the technique stuff.

Gene Parker
    (419) 874-2158

Also, as a recovering programmer with some .NET web space, I can offer to put up a little and searchable database with a web interface for your project.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    In San Francisco,

Bill Noertker

Teaching, booking, or general comments please send email to:

or send snail mail to:
    Bill Noertker
    912 Cole St. #279
    San Francisco CA 94117-4316
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    In Louisville:

Classical: Sidney King
    N.B. - Sid only teaches through the University, and he's one of the busiest guys I know, as well as one of the best.

Jazz (DB) and all styles on Slab: Tyrone Wheeler
    Tyrone is a masterful player on both DB and Electric. I studied fretless slab with him years ago and learned a bunch.

Jazz, DB Pizz only: Yours truly
    N.B. - At this point, I'm only teaching through the U., or preparing students for same.

I'll post more for different areas this summer whenI get to talk to the other bass faculty at the Aebersold camps. I think this will be a really useful thread if enough people contribute.
  5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
  6. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Off to a good start here. Thanks to those who have contributed above. And for the rest of you, don't feel bad about posting. This thread is intended to be a tool for players in the market for assistance. Keep 'em coming! :D
  7. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    +1 for Bill, I had a few lessons with him wich I enjoyed.

8. Here, you'll work with the bow, learn shifting & fingering from Simandl, study harmony (based on the indispensible Circle of Fourths), develop walking bass lines and limn solos.

You're invited to "auditon" me on a gig: visit for my current work schedule.
  9. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Any instructors in the Balt/DC/Phil area? Preferably close to Baltimore.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think our very own T-Bal is in the College Park area.
  11. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the reply....I'll try to find out who T-Bal is.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Tom Baldwin, he posts here under the screen name T-Bal. So if you do a MEMBER SEARCH you'll be able to "find him".

I highly recommend my teacher, Joe Solomon. the studio number is 212-741-2839.
  13. relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Actually, I'd really like a teacher in the Bryan-College Station, area but that's probably too much to hope for. Thanks,

14. I can list a few names from western Washington. Let me know if these phone numbers are wrong, I'm going from a list that's a couple years old.

In Seattle, WA:

Todd Gowers
    (206) 780-3952

Ben Musa
    (360) 650-3780

Spencer Hoveskeland

Barry Lieberman
    (206) 685-9112

In Tacoma, WA:
    Miriam Chong
    (253) 627-8817
  15. i found this with the search and well it kind of died?
    im looking for a teacher in tulsa oklahoma USA area does anybody have any recommendations of a teacher or a database of teachers i can find online i want to learn to play the db but the web and yellow pages dont really help