1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finding a use for 12/18v options on ISO-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joey Cash, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have a Voodoo Lab ISO-5 and no longer have any use for the 12v and 18v options, also I'm running out of outputs for the amount of pedals I'm collecting. Here's whats on the board:
    -SansAmp Bass Driver
    -Boss TU-2
    -TC Spectracomp
    -Joyo Ultimate Drive
    -Way Huge Swollen Pickle
    -Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
    -TC Flashback Mini

Will any of these pedals work under a higher voltage, or is there any way to split up the 18v into 2 pedals? I'm aware I can hook a daisy chain up to one of these and get a few out of that, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. Let me know...

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No you can't split an 18v out to 2 9v outs. You can get an adapter cable to covert the single 18 to a single 9 though.
    18V to 9V Converter for 1 SPOT Pro

I'm sure you also know that your tuner has a 9v out that you can use.

3. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have noticed that, but I am thinking of switching to a Polytune Mini, so I might not have that option for too long.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well..to be honest....you'll be shocked at how much better the Polytune is over the Boss :)

LSMFT6 likes this.
  5. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have been reading great reviews for it, plus I really like the small footprint.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I found I started buying pedals that ran on 18v just to use up some of those outlets. As of now, I have a Broughton Azure Drive, Cali Compact Bass, Dunwich Volt Thrower and ODB all running on 18v.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmm... I didn't consider that. I might have to look into it.

8. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Wampler Low Blow has a 9v and 18v option. I have an ISO 5 on order and plan to use it with the 18v plug.

Joey Cash likes this.
  9. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    The ultimate drive can be run on 18v. Heard many ppl do it with success one has been doing it for over a year. I haven't heard any horror stories yet.

Joey Cash likes this.
  10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Also you can run a daisy chain off of one or more outputs - the analog pedals especially will use low power and (in general) play nice with each other on shared power.

Joey Cash likes this.
  11. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I tried that and there didn't seem to be any problems. The only thing about that is I think this MXR Bass Distortion I just got is going to be taking its place. Anyone know if that will hold up under 18v or not?

12. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Don't know about the Swollen Pickle, but the Porkloin runs fine at 18v's. Check with Dunlop before you try it.
    Johno!

Joey Cash likes this.
  13. Joey Cash

Joey Cash

Nov 1, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    For the record, if anyone is keeping track, I sent email to Dunlop and got a reply saying that they do not recommend more than 9VDC for both the Swollen Pickle and the MXR Bass Distortion.

Johno Dunn likes this.
  14. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Thanks for checking.
    J!