1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finding a used car for under 5000

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by clanner, Nov 15, 2006.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    is what i'm trying to do, preferably arounf the 2000-3000 mark.

does anyone have any tips on how to do this? i'm looking for an actual car that is either strange, or nice enough that i could fix it up. (not the engine, i am not messing with an engine)

any particular makes that stay solid over the years.

and if it doesn't have a cd player, it drops to the bottom (unless i can get it cheap)

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    hondas accords, toyota carollas, all have a great rreputation for lasting for well over 150,000 miles. whatever car you find that y ou want to get, be sure to have a mechanic look at it first. i think you can still call your bank and ask em the kelly blue book value on the car you're looking into. this will help you from getting screwed on the price.

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Get an older (Mk2 or Mk3) VW Golf or Jetta. Bombproof...if you treat it right.

4. mrmoonjam

mrmoonjam

Apr 17, 2006
    Here, Now
    I usually look for a car in your price range, and you can get a good car. I recently bought an '89 Toyota Cressida, 98K miles, all the bells and whistles, garage kept, no rust or dents for $3750. It helps if you're not in a hurry. It is VITAL to have it checked by a mechanic you trust. Therefore it's also VITAL to have a mechanic you trust, but that's another issue. You'll usually get better deals from private owners than from car dealers

Concumers Union/ Consumer Reports compiles reliability ratings on most makes and models that are included in their annual Buyers Guide publication. Your library should have them. The short answer is that most Toyotas and Hondas are great, which is why they don't depreciate as fast as most Nissans, Mazdas, Subarus, and others which can also be great.

Also, check this out: www.autotrader.com

Good luck......:cool:

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you could get a used Fodera for that price!!

:D

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    you can get in-dash cd players for under $100 new these days.

7. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I looked around last year and got a 2001 Saturn SL1 for under $5k out the door, manual, cruise, cd, sunroof, AC, power windows/locks etc. It had 40k miles on it. A coworker just sold his Saturn that had 250k on it because the oil pan was leaking and he wanted a new truck. You can get up to 38 mpg if you don't run 70+mph. Also, the body is plastic so it won't rust.

Whatever you do, pay the $20 and run CarFax on the cars you're looking at. In the week I was looking, I thought I had found two other great deals... the first was a Toyota Corolla that had the odometer rolled back from 110k to 70k miles, and the other one was a car that was previously totalled. No matter what story the owner gives you, or if CarFax is wrong or not, that black mark will stay with the car and will make it very difficult to sell later on. Definitely get the unlimited CarFax subscription, even if you think you found the car you want, in case it comes back with something wrong and you have to run more cars.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Ford Taurus is the best bang for your buck used car you can find.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Scope out your local craigslist.

-Mike