1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding a White Rickenbacker in UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbyhappy, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Hello everyone!

Today I decided i would finally start the quest for my dream guitar seems as i have finally saved enough money...

I had my eyes set on this beauty for months now and have been checking the web site weekly to check its still in stock. So today i ring up to check its in and see if they could hold it for me till tomorrow....

It had gone:crying:

So i was/am Gutted about that...

So basicly people, where the hell do you get a White Rickenbacker 4001/4003 from in England/Wales?
    Any of the vast Talkbass eyes seen one in any of your local shops?

I've been searching the internet but having no luck.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Nathan

2. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    So sorry to hear about that. Have you considered getting a Rick and then getting it custom painted? Sounds stupid, but it is an option to sitting around and waiting.

3. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    That screams black hardware.

I'd tap that.

So if I find one, no I won't let you know :D

Heh just joking. I'm so broke right now I'd need to sell my own mother for one of those.

By the way I would.

Any offers?

:p

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What's she look like? To the white Ric, that's a tough one. White hasn't been offered since the 80's, I think. Not a very popular color. I'd agree with the refin suggestion, find a beater, have it done up custom just for you. Good luck.

5. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    hmmm could try the ol craigslist or the bay

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree that buying a Ric for less money, one that has a boring/common color and some dings in the finish, and having a professional refinish done on it, is the best option. There's also a gorgeous white fretless Ric FS on Rickresource right now, and maybe they'd ship to you.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i will be wandering past Denmark St in London later this evening, will keep an eye out for you. i think one of the shops had a 70s/80s white one there a few months ago.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had a white '80 a couple years ago. It certainly is a sexy color. I didn't have it long, but would like to find another someday and it isn't an easy color to just find anywhere.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Considering how rare a Ric color white is, and that most white Rics have turned an ugly shade of yellow...good luck!

10. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  12. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Hey, what do ya mean " turned ugly yellow"? My '75 has turned a lovely MELLOW yellow. Definitely better with age! Found mine in an auto transmission shop.....bout fell over, but kept my flea-market cool till it was mine, and in the car! Bud

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    bump - there is a white Ric for sale on Denmark st. i snapped a pic as i was passing, will post it up later when i get the chance (am at work now). it's a '78, the asking price was £1600 i think.

...it's not in the greatest condition, & isn't what you'd call 'pristine' white! but still, for info...

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
  15. Well, if you want to have a "white white" one, there is no other way than refinish. The formerly white ones are all shades of yellow today.
    Some guy had his V63 refinished, there is a story about that in the rickresource forum. I've got a Jetglo V63 which is a bit beaten up, maybe I'll get the same finish for it someday. Here's one picture from the thread over there, hope it works...

16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You found it in a tranny shop? Oh do tell, sounds like a cool story.

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I really like the white Rics! Very nice. Mine is plain ol' Jetglo but maybe I should save up to buy a white one? Hmmmm...

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :) They are mistaken.

19. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Aw.....the tranny shop story! Passed through a small Kansas town and was told a fella there built bass guitars. I stopped in at the transmission shop he owned and asked if I could see some of his basses. After cleaning the tranny fluid off himself we went into a room at the shop that had several basses he had build from scratch. Sitting there by it's lonesome was the white Ric. Well, he went on awhile about his basses and then I asked, "What about that one over there, would you be willing to sell it?" I think he was so caught up in his own work that selling off "that thing in the corner" was no real big deal........to him. Found out he had picked it up at an auction for $200. Thought he had done well selling it to me for $375. I didn't feel the least bit price gouged........ Bud