Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding an Efficient Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Sep 23, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey all,

im looking to buy the GK800RB and if i ran it full range its 300 watts at 4 ohms, 200 watts at 8 and for the highs for bi amping its 100 watts at 8 ohms.

so to me, that tells me that i should run one or two cabs at full range. But what cabs? i have an avatar 2x10 at 4 ohms. im looking at getting the 2x12 from them in 8 ohms and running just the 2x12 but thats only going to be 200 watts. is it bad to run a cab with that few watts? i know that the eminence speakers are very efficient but still, wouldnt i sound better and louder if i ran say, 2 aguilar 1x12's because total those would be 600 watts. and i would be running them at 4 ohms so 300 watts into 600.

i know aguilar costs more, but is it worth it for my watts?

i just used aguilar because i knew those numbers off hand, but what else should i look at? it doesnt have to be 12's i really like the lows of 15's. and i know people rave about 12's.

any ideas would help a lot! i have to play a show in a month or so, and i want to make sure i still dont have run my head all up to be heard.

thanks,

>hanus<

2. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I like GK heads but I never really got the point of the 800 RB... nobody much carries separate high cabs anymore so that's a 100 watt power section you're paying for and lugging around for no reason! Just seems kinda silly, there's plenty of other amps around in that price range... OTOH if i was shopping and found a good deal on a used one I wouldn't discount it.

anyway to answer your question... 300 watts vs 200 watts isn't all that big a deal, it's only like 2 dB difference... BUT if you have more cab volume and cone area along with that extra 100 watts, it can really feel more substantial - so yes, it might be worthwhile to get a 4-ohm setup.

Doesn't Avatar have a 4-ohm version of the 212 cab? I thought they did.

and yes, a pair of 12's in a good cab or two can definitely have plenty of bottom. I'm currently running a pair of EA 112 cabs which is heavenly low end for days, deeper and smoother than anything else I've yet played. Blows the pants off most 15's. (Haven't tried these Accugroove things I keep hearing about, though).

I havne't played the aggies or avatars either. Did hear the aggie 112 in a store and found them not as impressive as my EAs.

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    what amps should i look at then? i dont want to spend that much, remember...

>hanus<

4. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    well, what can you spend? and what kinda music you play?

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    im looking to spend somewhere around 350 and going used is what i know im gunna have to do probally. plus i have my peavey head to sell and cab if i do get rid of it, im saying around 400

>hanus<

6. 400 for just the head right because u wont get a very good setup for just 400 bucks even used. as for a head i would try yorkville mabey a whole used yorkville setup would fit ur bill. i dunno its just an idea but look into it.

shayne

7. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    ok i see... I thought you were talking new prices.
    $400 for a GK 800RB sounds quite reasonable, if you like the tone and it's in good shape, go for it.

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I picked up a new 800RB from Guitar Center last year for under $450. It was demoed and had lost most of the little plastic dealies they put on the 800RB knobs, but I painted lines on the knobs and the thing's been running perfect for me ever since. I wouldn't recommend it unless you get a smokin deal on it, however. I'm into <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=audio&v=56">audio</a> and acoustics and whatnot beyond the scope of the bass, but even I haven't been able to find a biamp setup on the 800RB with any combination of speaker sizes that sounds better in biamp than fullrange in a band context. You can, however, choose to run any 8ohm speaker you please out of that top amp at full range and 100W, which is what I'd recommend if you have use of that sort of thing.

I do like the flexibility of the crossover and different amps however, and it goes well with my Sansamp BDDI, so I don't plan to get rid of it any <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=time&v=56">time</a> soon. Now I'll be able to run my 4ohm stack off of the 300W amp and put this cute little compact 15" as a monitor for myself and the drummer with the other 100W amp. Oh, and it's very loud - I can effortlessly keep up with a loud rock band using a good 2x10 and 1x15.