Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding bassists that'll be interested in doing a two bass project

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 30, 2005.

1. well, lately, things have been mediocre, but they've been worse....tonight i just played my first show with my band, and while we didn't get a whole bunch of attention from the crowd (hardcore show, we play things of punk likenesses), after the show i heard we left a pretty good impression as a band that could play regardless of looking awkward as a two bass band ("i haven't seen any other acts in jersey that have done this stuff, that's totally unique").

here's the interesting part.
    my other bassist is a complete pain in my ass. no license (he's near 21), always missing pieces of gear coming to practice, and ON TOP OF IT ALL, he's temporary (thank god)...we've let him in and kicked him out now just about 3 times and i've had it. not only during the gig is he an @$$hole and doesn't pay any regards to the comments of others, but after the show (we got a crappy crowd, a measily three people that came to see us....it's the first show so i'm missing a fanbase) we're in the car. I hear, "oh, Jim, when do i get paid?" i'm like "paid what, we didn't get any money." he's like "you agreed you'd pay me to play". i said "yea, you get a cut of what we make. since we made NIL tonight, what do you think your going to get?" and so the conversation continues, and i am quiet about the entire thing. i discuss with my bandmates, and we have to get him the hell out or someone's gonna need drugs to compensate for dealing with him. the new question is HOW DO YOU CONVINCE A BASSIST TO JOIN A BAND TO HAVE A TWO BASS LINEUP TO SAVE THE GROUP??? i'm scraping my head for ideas and unless i'm doing a hell of a lot more shows that will get more attention i don't think it'll be likely. any help here?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The same way you get a bassist to join any other project. Ads, networking, etc. Just be honest and up front that they will not be the only bassist.

This lineup has become something of a fad down here in the sludge/hardcore crowd. I've heard of 3 or 4 new acts doing two bassists and no guitar in the past month or so.

3. wierd. any sites you've got good results from putting ads up?? i looked at craigslist and from a glance at the site it looks like i'll be looking for a day to day solution for people......

4. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    has two basses and two guitars ever been done

5. i think i saw a primus live clip with like 4 bassists and two guitarists at one point on the "animals should not try to act like people" dvd

6. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    i think if you could get an over egoistic guitarist to share the spot with another, another bassist should not be a problem.

7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    dayum, dude...if i lived closer, i'd audition.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    what part of jersey are u in? i'd audition.