Finding/Creating a Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Solid-Body, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Solid-Body

Solid-Body Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Exiled to Australia
    Hello, all. I'm new to talkbass and new to my area. I've been studying and practicing for two years, and now I feel that I need to grow with a band. But, I can't find anyone to play with. Does anyone have suggestions where I might locate other musicians, possibly with similar interests? I'm desperately trying to find some (at least semi-serious) musicians to hang with. I've even though of placing a personal ad :), but doubt it would do much good. Well, thanks.
  2. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    I have the same problem, my advice is go to local bands shows, most of the crowd is A: friends with the band, B: into the scene, or C: musicians wanting to make connections to start bands.
  3. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Go to a venue where local bands gig and ask around where the main "musican's wanted" adverts are found. You live in a big city, likely whatever freebie entertainment paper (there is likely a weekly one, yes)? is around will have these ads. Typically they're free or very cheap - advertise yourself if no existing adverts catch your eye.

Join a gigging band. If you're new to it, just go along with whatever they say and get experienced. Preferably these'd be be people who have some experience and contacts and have their "act" together, doing good promo and such. No matter what though, gigging 5 times will learn you more than waiting 5 months for the right drummer to join or for songs to be written.

Be nice to the soundmen and members of the other bands. Tell them you're new, and eager to play. Bass players get a LOT of offers.

Go to open mike nights at cool spots and hit on the solo talent. If it's a band you like or that seems "pro" and you can afford it, buy them a round of drinks and get to know them or ask if they have a Cd, etc. Mention to whomever seems to be the leader (but not if it's the bass player) that you're a good player and love their music and would love to be in a band like theirs (assuming you dig their act). Or ask the bass player if he knows of anyone in need for a bassist or if he has any advice for a new guy in town. Then give them your card and say that if they know anyone who needs a bassist that you're keen.

Of course you have a demo and a card with your contact info.

It's all common-sense.
  4. Solid-Body

Solid-Body Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Exiled to Australia
    Thanks for the replies. I'm very new to the music scene altogether, and I'm not sure what you mean by 'venues', but I'll try to figure it out. :) Definetely some good ideas.
    I don't have a card or demo, as I'm not pro (by any means), but I'll give it a go. Thanks.
  5. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Venue - see #2

As for a card, get one. Being in a new city, even if you make friends they'll need your contact info to call you. Begging around for paper and a pen when the time comes doesn't cut it. You might not be "pro" but nothing's stopping you from acting the part.

As for not being a "pro", take lessons & practice. Once that gig comes along you'll be glad you did.

6. Solid-Body

Solid-Body Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Exiled to Australia
    Well... I knew what the word venue meant, I just didn't know exactly what a venue is, as applies to music. Specifically, I don't know how to find one. That just mean a club where local bands play? I've never been to one so I'm not sure how to find them.

I have had lessons and have been playing for nearly five years, but I have never really been in a band. Just excited about joining one, I guess.
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Greetings and welcome Solid Body!

I gotta second SMASH on the open mic thing. Generally a LOT of people who are just starting out will go to those, and some experienced folk as well, so there's a good mix of people. It's a good way to get your feet wet and to check people out a bit and get to know them before you think about joining them.

As for how to find them, local papers will usually have listings. You might also ask the staff at music stores - more often than not, they know the scene fairly well.

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out!
  8. Solid-Body

Solid-Body Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Exiled to Australia
    Thanks, all! I've got a better handle on the terminology, now. I've even found a few web sites with some local shows. I'll check those out. Later days.
  9. i am also looking for people to play w/(SC coast), and i read the tread, but i dont think that there are any open-mic nights in my city! AUUGGGHHH. WHat do i Do?

p.s. the guy at the music store dosent like me...and my choices are narrower since i would like ot play w/christian musicians...

10. Well, find the places that do have bands and go there. Hang out and catch the musicians between sets or whatever and just say hi. If you can get 'em in a conversation, just mention that you play bass. Of course, since you want to play only with christian musicians, you probably won't want to hang out in bars.

Personally, I think you shouldn't limit yourself. You can be "christian" in the rock and roll world. I know guys who do it.

You said the music store guy doesn't like you. Is that the music equipment store or the music recording store? Check out any local mom-and-pop record stores ... they may have a bulletin board you can put an ad on.

Hell, worse comes to worse, take a classified out in the local daily newspaper. Who knows who may read it?
  11. Have you tried searching on Google? I just did it real quick and found this link, might be helpful:

There's usually at least one or two local music message boards for every major city...That's how I met the guys in my band, and it's how we look for new band members too, they're really all anyone uses around here...

Good luck!
  12. i think it was:

Phoenix and "local music" and "message board"

or something like that...
  13. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    this might not have anything to do with the topic but it does a little bit. Well anyways yes where i am from there is a local weekly newspaper that has advertisments for musicians and its free(which is good) and that is great, but i dont like it. does anyone know where i can find something like that online. i dont spend much online but i am much more aware about these things if it doesnt require me to call or anything. but if anyone can find someplace online and post it i would def. appreciate it.
  14. bmanpikey

Apr 2, 2013
    This Thread was pretty old. I was wondering if there were any websites where a person could go to check out other musicians and be checked out. Maybe i need to google it locally or is there a facebook for musicians now? Ive tried craigslist quite a bit but have yet to get any results from it.
  15. bmanpikey

Apr 2, 2013
    to reply to my own post, check out They want you to pay in order to contact other musicians, but most musicians put their email address in their about me section so that they can be contacted