finding Lemmy's tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Acacia, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think I am pretty close now. Granted I am not using a Ric (yet) or a Marshall set up, but my SansAmp preamp and SWR cab do a fine job. I turned the drive all the way up and the tone all the way up on my jazz bass. sounds pretty good. now i just need that Ric.
  2. You might be a bit off his sound as well even with a RIC. But you can still get close.
    Lemmys RIC's (before his sig model) were fitted with thunderbird pickups in the neck. So unless you do that to a will still be a little off :)

He is one of my biggest inspirations...if you ever get the chance to see him live, do wont regret it.

I just noticed as well this is in the effects forum, so i dunno if your looking for effects he uses...if so...the awnser is none...he runs straight into his Marshall with the RIC.
    So says Lemmy on their official page
  3. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey man, yeah, I knew he used no effects. He is becoming one of my big influences now with the whole tribute band thing. I'm not shooting for exact, but I feel I am pretty close in the sound.

I've seen them live 3 times since 93 and have been able to meet and hang out with Lemmy twice. Great guy. My Motorhead tattoo is on their official site in the "Motorhead for Life" section, 11th row down, middle tattoo. :D
  4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Try this...

It simulates a Marshall Plexy running at 11, and since the plexy was designed around marshalls first head (the superbass) I think it would work well...

ps. thier live sound was achived by using a P.A. that was way to small for the room and pushing it to the max...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks for showing that effect, Techx!

That's a new one on me.........and not expensive either.

I was afraind Acacia was going to ask about Lemmy's vocal tone. My only reco could have been drinking a case of this weekly for a few years -

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    God bless Pepe & Lemmy!!!

7. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I left tequila alone years ago, but whiskey sours and beer help quite a bit, and i use it a-plenty. if i smoked it would helped. oddly enough, his vocal style is pretty tough to emulate, for me anyways. but i'm doing it to the best of my abilities and having more fun in a band than i have had in years.
    filler83 likes this.