Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finding my impedence using only my meter :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, I have my 4x12 PV cab. I have my meter. Where do I jam probes? :D This is pretty important info for me, as I want to buy a 2x10 Eden cab, and my Acoustic head only goes down to 4OHMS and I was told by a 3rd party this was prolly a 4ohm cab. But he wasn't sure either. So, how do I find out for sure? And yes, I tried calling PV tech, and the guy couldn't find out :(...
    Ray

2. Plug a speaker cord into the cab and measure the resistance at the other end of the cord. You'll also be reading the resistance of the cord, but unless there's a problem with the cord the difference will be negligible. If your cab is 4ohms the meter will read somewhere between 2 and 4 ohms. If it's an 8ohm cab it'll read somewhere between 6 and 8 ohms.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Interesting that your Acoustic head only goes down to 4 ohms...most of them seem to thrive on 2 ohm loads...

4. You could pull the speakers and look at what hey say and then determine how they are wired. BTW is this a guitar or bass cab?

If it is a newer bass cab (412txf) it should be 4 ohms. If it is the old vinyl covered cabs from the 70's and 80's it should have the Pyle driver speakers in it and it is most probably 8 ohms.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I just double checked my head, and it's 4ohm :(. It's older PV, so I'm guessing you mean the vinyl covered? And yes...a bass cab ;)
    Ray

6. Yeah since it's an old one I would believe it's 8 ohm. I would check first however. Man personally I would just go for an Eden 410. IMO it would put out more sound per watt (db per watt) and that would mean it would be louder over all. I don't know much about the Eden stuff but if the 410's are 8 ohm then you could still use the PV 412.

It's your decision- Peace

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I don't know excatly what I want to do yet. If mine does turn out to be 8Ohm, then I'll got with 4x12+2x10. I know I'm gonna like that combo. If not, then I'll stick with 4x12. Trust me, with my head, I don't need to worry about volume. At 1/4th volume, with the gain set at...9 o'clock (1/4th) I keep up with Marshall 1/2s pretty damn good, and when I kick up the volume, I can blow them outta the water. Right now we only have one, but before we had two, and I could easily hear me. :)D). But if I can have more high end, as the 4x12 doesn't get to great up there, then I'll love it. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Ray

8. I'd agree with just going with the 4 x 10 Eden and ditch the 12's. I've never found 12's to be a good driver for bass. Besides, the Eden is a much higher performance cabinent loaded with much, much better drivers. You'll be better off than adding two 10's to your existing rig.
    I play with just one SWR Goliath 3 (4 ohm version ) and use it in medium to fairly large venues (500-1500 cap.) as my tour rig and it more than handles all my situations. Light, compact and loud. If your planning to play regulary, it'd be advice. I've been through many rigs and I've stuck with this one for the past 6yrs. with an average of 18-25 shows a month steady. Hope this helps you make your decision...good luck

----Woody

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, no matter what I'm keeping the 4x12, for some reason I just love it. Once I get the 2x10, I may decide to no use it for gigs and such, but practice. I at one point had an Ampeg 4x10 cab, but just didn't like it as much as my 4x12...Must be the JBLs...

10. .... you didn't say the PV had JBL's in it!!..that of course would make a big difference. I assumed it still had the issued PV drivers. I still don't like 12's but each to his own.. ( I played a 4 -12 ampeg for several years...when I went active and to 5 & 6 string basses, the 12's just didn't deliver the range I was wanting ) . You can't go wrong adding those 10's though. Especially considering the horn driver..you'll get that 'little' extra you need to hear yourself and not drive your gear as hard ( or your ears...) :D