1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding my sound: frettless vs. fretted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slybubbaj, Feb 16, 2003.

1. I own a frettless MIM Jazz Bass, and i love the sound on the lows and mids, and even the highs, but theres one thing: i play a lot of chords, and they almost always sound muddy. for my next bass i was considering getting a 5 string string (EADGC not with the low b) and was wondering if i should stick to frettless or if i should find a fretted. the thing is i know i would miss the frettless sound whenever im not playing chords. if only i could have frettless on the bottom two strings only :) . and i was also wondering if even if i got fretted, it would still sound muddy with J pickups, and what pickups work best for chrisp sounding chords.

p.s. Sorry about the other thread go ahead and delete it (I accidentally pressed enter). But heres what I was getting at.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get a double neck like JT!

I only say that half jokingly.

Im seriouslt planning to have a doubleneck fretted 5/ fretless 5 built for me in the near future.

I think a more pratical idea would be to try out some fretted J's and if they work good for chords then I think you should get one of those to go with your fretless.

Peace
    Nick

3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    im completely with you man. i love teh sound of my fretless carvin, and i only wish it would sound better for chords. Im currently using an ibanez ATK fretted 5 for the chords and heavy slap stuff. I would reccomend you get a fretted bass to match your fretless. If possible, you can try to find one with the smaller, more vintage feeling frets. I personally hate the huge frets on my ATK, and would love a bass with smaller ones. The only fretless Ive ever heard that was not at all muddy on chords was a pedulla pentabuzz. and those are quite expensive. of course I'm also not so talented as to be able to play any more than three notes in tune at once on a fretless.