Finding my voice...(anything wrong with me?)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tronictq, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Kind of a downer topic... but i feel "musicianless" so to speak when I play the electric bass. Whenever i get onto it... i go nuts!!Meaningless notes everywhere! There's no music to that, and i know it's not me. Which leads to a bigger problem (i think) I can't solo! I don't know how! I can't take some cords and play some notes over them and make them sound beautiful.
    I also have this really big urge to write music, yet i have nothing to write! I have writers block and i haven't even started. Maybe I'm not meant to solo or stand out... just groove?

Now I'm just kind of rambling on for some self-pity. Any posts about ones own experience about finding "their voice" so to speak, would be great!

2. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    IMO, the best way to get started in soloing (or in other words improvising?) and writing tunes is emulation of the past masters. Listen to recordings of the stuff you like, and try to mimic a specific solo, or use your ear to pick out the harmony or whatever. You should start off with something easy that you can handle.

Good luck,
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    All artists - musicians, writers, what-have-you - struggle to find their own unique voice. Voice is found in your experience. Study your favorite musicians, their styles, learn the theory behind those basslines and solos you love. Venture out into different types of music as well. And keep at it, even through the hard times -- the ruts, the writers block. You have to work your way through writers block. And the only way to do that is to keep writing. Write more. Write better. And soon you'll find your voice. :)
  4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Most kids mimic the words of their parents and others before they come up with words and phrases of their own. Children aren't born with all the words they need to know to communicate. The same goes for music. Get your vocabulary by listening and emulating. Once you have a vocabulary, then you can come up with your own phrases.
  5. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thank you all for your insightful and encouraging responses.

I'm guessing theory will help a lot as well. I plan on taking a lot of it this winter.