Finding mylar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bardolph, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm about to put a protective coating on my fretless ebony board. From what I've read on the forums, mylar seems to be one of the best. The thing is, I can't find self-adhesive clear mylar anywhere. I've called nearby hobby shops and looked onine and on ebay. Is there anybody here that can hook me up with some or give me a website where I can order some?
  2. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
  3. Well, if the Mo is going to do it, let's have him do it right. Here's the website that was originally cited for the adhesive mylar film:

By "do it right" I mean not cutting corners and splicing the film together on the fingerboard. Sure, polyester is dimensionally stable and it isn't going to shrink and expose the wood, but it's easy enough to get the single piece and apply it. Sorry for pointing that out Bo.
  4. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    All I can find on tapplastics is the non adhesive kind. I'm guessing I would want a spray to apply it.
  5. The adhesive is listed at the end of the polyester roll list. Believe me it's there. I looked it up before posting the url like I always do.

Get in touch with them directly to get smaller quantities.
  6. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I emailed tap plastics and the guy told me they only sell full rolls. Seeing as the pressure sensitive roll is $120, I'll either find pressure sensitive somewhere else (which seems almost impossible) or use non-adhesive mylar and put it on myself. If I were to do that, what would be a good adhesive that wouldn't appear splotchy?
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    the thread