1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding new strings for my 5 string 35" scale bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SolomonHelsing, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Well after using my bass a great amount more than ever lately, i believe that i should get a new set of strings on hand just incase.
    However looking back to when it was first stringed up a year or so ago.
    I remember my bass teacher at the time saying that he didnt think the strings i had were long enough to go string thru.
    They were Rotosound Swing bass Super/Extra Long 5 string set, now i checked and it says they should fit between 33/34" to 36" scale five string basses.

I really like the strings so do you think it is worth it getting another set of them and finding out myself, or do any of you have any good suggestions for a replacement that would definately go string thru on my bass with no problem.

Now i know this might spark the top loaded to string thru argument, and i do like the sound i get now with it top loaded, however i do want to see what it is like with the other set up as i have never had this bass be set up with them as string thru.

It's a Warmoth Deluxe 5 Z bass with Warmoth Headstock by the way if it was needed to know.

2. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    DR strings have worked on every 5 string 35" scale thru body bass I've had, no problem.

I like the SunBeams, but they are all quality.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Rotosound standard Long Scale have a 37" winding length ball end to silk. They will fit SOME 35" scale instruments, but you would really need to measure to see if it will fit your specific one.

If you are going to use them as a string through you must get the Extra Long scale sets.

RS665EL is the set you are looking for.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If the Roto's won't fit, DR's definitely will. They are about all I'll use anymore.

+1 for Bass Strings Online as well :)