Finding Out One Day Who Your Real Influences Were

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 19, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    As an early 20 something, I was first starting to get into music in the late 80s and early 90s, about the time of grunge. I remember Pearl Jam always being one of my first favorite, modern day bands (I got into Zeppelin and The Doors, and Beatles before grunge). I listened to them from middle school to college and even now. I always wanted to say my playing was influenced by people like Chris Squire and Geddy Lee, but really my lines, now that I think of it, are very Jeff Ament like rythms and patterns. Intersting, because I never thought of Jeff as an influence, but he had been influencing me subconsciuosly (sp). Anyone else have these kinds of revelations??
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH I go again....:)
    I think everyone who plays - listens, and absorbs, a lot more than they realize for quite a while. You spend all of your time trying to be one guy or another, but find other influences at work. Sometimes, it's just that another player fits your own inclinations, or sums up what several other players do best. For me, it was the realization that while I wanted to play like Jack Bruce, Martin Turner or Rob Grange (and I did pick up lots of nuances from them), I sounded more like Gary Thain when I sat back and really listened to what I played in original songs.
  3. I'm gonna have to agree with gweim. I find that all of the bass lines I ever come up with always seem to sound like it was influenced by a different bassist each time. The first bass line I ever wrote to a song (which really wasn't that long ago...well...5 months or so. :p) sounded kinda like the bass line in 'December' by Collective Soul. Then again, at that time Will Turpin was pretty much the only bassist who's name I knew and had actually heard his stuff. :D:p
    The next line I wrote sounded kinda like a crossover between Zombie (I dunno the bassist for The Cranberries' name. :p) and the James Bond theme song(Who wrote that, anyway? :D)
    And now I find a lot of stuff I pull of at random when I'm bored...
    well, I'm not too sure who exactly I think it sounds like, but I'm pretty sure if I go through all of my CDs I'll find a few songs where it sounds like I ripped them off... :D:p
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Personally, I couldn't say who I sound like - I've never really tried to play specifically like someone else. Rather, I've used things that I've picked up from others, and built on that. Hopefully, my band will have a demo done soon, so it'd be interesting (to me, at least) to put it up on here and see what people thought. And before anyone says anything, I keep my 4-stringer tuned to E, so I totally refute any Fieldy influence...